Posted to alt.home.repair
bt bt is offline

Default Wiring Timer Switch Question

I recently bought a timer wall switch for my outside lights. When I
went to swap out the switches I ran into a problem. The old switch is
in a gang box with 2 other switches. The switch had 2 black wires
running to it and all 3 netural wires are gathered together with a nut
in the back of the box. The new switch had a black, white, and blue
wire. The instructions said I must have a white wire to make this work
and gave no further explanation.

Question1: Can I take the netural wire for that light from the ones
grouped together in the back and attach to the white wire?
Question2: What would I attach the blue wire to?

This switch may not work in this situation, but wanted to check with
others before I have to ship back to the seller. Any help would be
appreciated.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"bt" wrote in message
ups.com...
I recently bought a timer wall switch for my outside lights. When I
went to swap out the switches I ran into a problem. The old switch is
in a gang box with 2 other switches. The switch had 2 black wires
running to it and all 3 netural wires are gathered together with a nut
in the back of the box. The new switch had a black, white, and blue
wire. The instructions said I must have a white wire to make this work
and gave no further explanation.

Question1: Can I take the netural wire for that light from the ones
grouped together in the back and attach to the white wire?
Question2: What would I attach the blue wire to?

This switch may not work in this situation, but wanted to check with
others before I have to ship back to the seller. Any help would be
appreciated.

It seems that you are replacing a mechanical switch (windup as the knob is
turned) with one that that has an electric or electronic timer. The neutral
wire should be able to be connected to the neutral wires that are in the
box. The new switch black wire will go to the hot black wire that is on
the old timer and the blue wire will go to the other old switch black wire
which goes to the outside lights.