Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Water in basement (still)

Hi all,

As a result of recent heavy rains my basement got flooded (about a
foot of water). I don't have a sump pump, so I used a utility pump to
pump the water out. But the water keeps coming back through the floor
(although in smaller amounts).

My basement floor is not even, so I use three spots to pump out the
water. I pump it out every evening. By now (a week after everything
started) about half of the floor is not covered with water (although
most of it is still damp).

I am also running two fans and a dehumidifier.

I think, if dynamics continues, I need a few more days to completely
get rid of water...

Now the questios:

1) Am I doing right things or something else needs to be done at this
point?

2) At what point should I start to worry about mold? Other damage?
-- my basement has been exposed to wather for a week now and will be
exposed to it for a few more days, maybe a week...

Thanks in advance for any input,

Arkadiy

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Arkadiy" wrote in message

1) Am I doing right things or something else needs to be done at this
point?

At some point, you really must get a sump pump and do the job right.
Temporarily, you should be OK wiht what you are doing. Shop Vac will get
more water up when the utility pump no longer can.

2) At what point should I start to worry about mold? Other damage?
-- my basement has been exposed to wather for a week now and will be
exposed to it for a few more days, maybe a week...

Mold spores can come in at any time. You my want to ventilate well and use
a dilute bleach solution on the walls and floor to kill any mold that is
accumulating.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 24, 11:25 am, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
"Arkadiy" wrote in message

1) Am I doing right things or something else needs to be done at this
point?

At some point, you really must get a sump pump and do the job right.
Temporarily, you should be OK wiht what you are doing. Shop Vac will get
more water up when the utility pump no longer can.

2) At what point should I start to worry aboutmold? Other damage?
-- my basement has been exposed to wather for a week now and will be
exposed to it for a few more days, maybe a week...

Moldspores can come in at any time. You my want to ventilate well and use
a dilute bleach solution on the walls and floor to kill anymoldthat is
accumulating.

Mold can be begin to grow in high humidity within 24 hours. the first
step is to remove the water. Mold spores can start to grow- but
mildew will be the biggest problem at first- depending on what got wet
and has stayed moist. You can use any disinfecting agent to clean. To
get rid of the mold you can use bleach but that does not kill all the
spores. You may have problems down the road. If it continues to back
up look for mold prevention products. They are applications and not
cleaners. They will seal and prevent any mold growth. Learn more at:

www.moldshield.org

water in basement Arkadiy Home Repair 8 April 19th 07 09:23 PM
Water in the basement Andy & Carol Home Repair 9 June 20th 06 07:53 PM
Water in basement Steve Home Repair 2 June 10th 06 11:28 PM
water in basement :-( [email protected] Home Ownership 7 July 15th 05 06:11 PM
water in basement :-( [email protected] Home Repair 18 July 14th 05 11:24 PM