Posted to alt.home.repair
al al is offline

Default What's a "rafter helper"?

Got a new roof last June after previous year's hurricane. Contract
states that "rafter helpers" will be installed as necessary.

I've just found that the end of a rafter into which fascia and soffit
are nailed is severely rotted back to the edge of the wall and am
wondering if that is where a "rafter helper" should have been used to
shore up that area. Fascia on that section was replaced when roof was
done so they couldn't have missed it.

Posted to alt.home.repair
3G 3G is offline

"al" wrote in message
oups.com...
| Got a new roof last June after previous year's hurricane. Contract
| states that "rafter helpers" will be installed as necessary.
|
| I've just found that the end of a rafter into which fascia and soffit
| are nailed is severely rotted back to the edge of the wall and am
| wondering if that is where a "rafter helper" should have been used to
| shore up that area. Fascia on that section was replaced when roof was
| done so they couldn't have missed it.

I would assume the "rafter helpers" means new "rafter tails" which are
nailed to the existing rafters.

--
Information is free
Everything else........................I charge.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 24 Apr 2007 08:04:32 -0700, al wrote:

Got a new roof last June after previous year's hurricane. Contract
states that "rafter helpers" will be installed as necessary.

I've just found that the end of a rafter into which fascia and soffit
are nailed is severely rotted back to the edge of the wall and am
wondering if that is where a "rafter helper" should have been used to
shore up that area. Fascia on that section was replaced when roof was
done so they couldn't have missed it.

No, I don't think that is what he meant. Obviously the term is
misused as a google search will show.

What I think he meant is that a new roof looks a lot better if the
rafters are relatively straight and even. Sags in a roof don't look
nice and cracked rafters are going to be sagging. So he is saying
that the roofers will go into the attic and repair as necessary any
problem rafters. That means generally you have to shore up the
sagging rafters and to splice a substitute rafter. It is really very
common and should be done with each roofing job.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 06:45:07 -0500, jiml wrote:

[...]

The word I was looking for is 'sister'.

To fix your fascia you need to sister the rafters at the end so you
have something solid to attach the fascia. Not easy, but somebodys
gotta do it.

Posted to alt.home.repair
3G 3G is offline

"jiml" wrote in message
| On 24 Apr 2007 08:04:32 -0700, al wrote:
|
| Got a new roof last June after previous year's hurricane. Contract
| states that "rafter helpers" will be installed as necessary.
|
| I've just found that the end of a rafter into which fascia and soffit
| are nailed is severely rotted back to the edge of the wall and am
| wondering if that is where a "rafter helper" should have been used to
| shore up that area. Fascia on that section was replaced when roof
was
| done so they couldn't have missed it.
|
| No, I don't think that is what he meant. Obviously the term is
| misused as a google search will show.

OP said
the end of a rafter into which fascia and soffit
are nailed is severely rotted back to the edge of the wall.

sounds like a rafter tail to me..........................

| What I think he meant is that a new roof looks a lot better if the
| rafters are relatively straight and even. Sags in a roof don't look
| nice and cracked rafters are going to be sagging. So he is saying
| that the roofers will go into the attic and repair as necessary any
| problem rafters. That means generally you have to shore up the
| sagging rafters and to splice a substitute rafter. It is really very
| common and should be done with each roofing job.

what the heck are you ramblin for?
sistering joists have nothing to do with what the OP was talking
about.
except for sistering "rafter tails" to existing rafters.

and where does he mention his sagging roof?
OP said