Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT TV commercials are louder than the shows

On Apr 24, 2:17�am, mm wrote:
On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 16:50:51 -0700, aspasia wrote:
On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 18:52:05 -0400, mm
wrote:

On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 12:55:48 -0700, aspasia wrote:

LOUDER THAN THE SHOWS is equally true at the movies.. *The trailers
are hideously loud. * There's no mute button, so I (sensitive hearing)
put in earplugs until the endless, endless trailers are over, and the
sound reverts to normal.

I don't know if this is just Maryland, or nationwide, or what, but the
announced time for movies to start will soon be when the movie starts,
and not when the trailers start.

There is a god! *Hope it spreads nationwide.

Old news:http://www.realitytvworld.com/news/i...sses-movie-the...
The Loews theater chain has promised to put a disclaimer in future ads
letting viewers know the start time listed actually means the start of
previews.
A Chicago-area woman sued Loews Cineplex Theaters two years ago after
she saw "The Quiet American" at one of the chain's theaters. A state
appellate court dismissed the suit Friday, ruling that Loews has
solved the problem.

Miriam Fisch claimed that she was forced to sit through minutes of
commercials. CEO Executive Travis Reid promised the chain will show
only previews of coming attractions after the advertised start time.

Lawyer Mark Weinberg said Loews has only adopted a voluntary policy
that it could drop at any time.

"These things go on for 20, 25 minutes, with theaters just getting out
of control in exploiting a captive audience," Weinberg said. "In our
fast-paced society, time is precious and when somebody steals 25
minutes of your time, there's something wrong with that -- though the
courts don't seem interested in stopping it from happening."

An Illinois legislator responded to Loews pledge by dropping plans to
introduce a bill demanding honesty on movie start times.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...om/nomovieads/

I didn't find new news on this.

One can't tell it from my posting habits here, but I feel a compulsion
to get to the movies at the listed time, even though I know I can
allow X minutes for trailers. *I never even try to learn how long X
is. *How long is it?

Approx 15 min.

Wow. *I'll probably learn to get there 15 minutes late just about the
time that they start starting at the listed time!

Of *course, I would really prefer continuous showings, along with
travelogues, news, and cartoons. *Sometimes when I was little they
would have a whole hour of cartoons before the movie.- Hide quoted text -

lowes went bankrupt and was sold to AMC at least locally, but I
believe nationwide.

the shopping channels PAY for carriage, the pay X bucks to be on each
provider unless they are a local OTA channel. in which case they get
carried for free or near free.

this info from satellite tv interests of mine

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 24 Apr 2007 05:07:02 -0700, "
wrote:

lowes went bankrupt and was sold to AMC at least locally, but I
believe nationwide.

Probably because they didn't show enough commercials before the
movies.

Just kidding. I'm sure there are many more likely reasons.