Posted to alt.home.repair
Max Max is offline

Default Strange Problem with Kitchen Faucet/Water Filter HELP

Water worked fine up until about two weeks ago.

Kitchen faucet is two handle Moen. House is 30 years old but kitchen
remodeled about a year ago. Copper water pipes throughout house.

Have GE dual filter water filtration system tapped into the cold water
line with separate faucet for the filtered water mounted to sink.

Filters changed about 3 months ago (6 month lifecycle)

Everything worked fine until about two weeks ago when we noticed
that when we turn on the cold water, it would run fine for about 10-15
seconds, then there would be a "clunk" in the line and the water would
almost come to a complete stop (just a trickle of water coming out of
the faucet).

If we turn the handle off, wait about 5 seconds and turn it back on,
the water will again flow fine for about 10-15 secs then repeat the
same problem with cutting off.

Same thing will happen if we just use the water filter faucet.
However, if we turn *both* the filter faucet and cold water on at the
same time, water will cut off to both in about 3-4 seconds.

Meanwhile, the hot water side works fine.

Cutting off the water line to the filter (it has a cutoff where it's
tapped into the cold water line), has no effect. The cold water
will still shut off with a clunk after 10-15 seconds.

No other water lines in the house has this problem.

Any ideas what may be causing this?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Yeah,
It's your sprayer control that is in the bottom of the faucet. Take
it apart and you can usually spot the problem.

On Sat, 21 Apr 2007 10:43:35 -0400, Max wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"deke" wrote in message
news

Yeah,
It's your sprayer control that is in the bottom of the faucet. Take
it apart and you can usually spot the problem.

That would be my first guess, but he said the hot water works fine. Could
be the filter cartridge though, is somewhat clogged giving a pressure drop
and causing the spray diverter to block the line.

My first step would be to change the filter, then check the diverter, then
the washer/cartridge for the cold water tap.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Max Max is offline

On Sat, 21 Apr 2007 15:24:44 -0400, "Edwin Pawlowski"
graced this newsgroup with:

"deke" wrote in message
news

Yeah,
It's your sprayer control that is in the bottom of the faucet. Take
it apart and you can usually spot the problem.

That would be my first guess, but he said the hot water works fine. Could
be the filter cartridge though, is somewhat clogged giving a pressure drop
and causing the spray diverter to block the line.

...that's correct the hot water is fine..never cuts off.

My first step would be to change the filter, then check the diverter, then
the washer/cartridge for the cold water tap.

thanks. I'll go and change the cartridges and see if that works.
However, why would the water still cut off if I cut off the water
supply to the filter?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Max" wrote in message

thanks. I'll go and change the cartridges and see if that works.
However, why would the water still cut off if I cut off the water
supply to the filter?

I'm not sure what you mean by cutting the water supply to the filter and
still having water cut off. If you close the supply to the filter, you
should be getting no flow? Does your filter housing have a top section that
turns to shut the water off? Could be the problem there.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Max Max is offline

On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 01:50:28 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
graced this newsgroup with:

"Max" wrote in message

thanks. I'll go and change the cartridges and see if that works.
However, why would the water still cut off if I cut off the water
supply to the filter?

I'm not sure what you mean by cutting the water supply to the filter and
still having water cut off. If you close the supply to the filter, you
should be getting no flow? Does your filter housing have a top section that
turns to shut the water off? Could be the problem there.

there's a "T" valve that has a cut off to the filter. When open, the
water flows from the main water line to both the faucet and the
filter, The valve has a cut-off that will shut the flow of water off
going to the filter but allow water to continue to the faucet.

This ensures no water goes to the filters if either there's a leak or
when changing filters.

It's really nothing more than a three way valve under the sink.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Max" wrote in message
there's a "T" valve that has a cut off to the filter. When open, the
water flows from the main water line to both the faucet and the
filter, The valve has a cut-off that will shut the flow of water off
going to the filter but allow water to continue to the faucet.

This ensures no water goes to the filters if either there's a leak or
when changing filters.

It's really nothing more than a three way valve under the sink.

Now I understand. Then I'd say the diverter or faucet cartridge is the
culprit.