Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Lawn above septic field

Does the lawn above a septic field need any special treatment? More
lime? More or less feed? The grass above mine is a bit rough so I was
just wondering if I should treat it differently.

Thanks for any advice!

DeanB

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dean" wrote in message
oups.com...
Does the lawn above a septic field need any special treatment? More
lime? More or less feed? The grass above mine is a bit rough so I was
just wondering if I should treat it differently.

Thanks for any advice!

DeanB

Depends on the septic tank system.

My leach field is about 6 feet under the ground, there's no way its
impacting the grass at that level. I believe more modern ones are closer to
the surface, but local requirements may make that determination. You
definitely won't have to water as much.

I think you may see a bit more moss in the grass, I do, but I also live on
clayish glacial till.

Posted to alt.home.repair
KC KC is offline

dean wrote:
Does the lawn above a septic field need any special treatment? More
lime? More or less feed? The grass above mine is a bit rough so I was
just wondering if I should treat it differently.

Thanks for any advice!

DeanB

Define "rough". How long has the field been in place?

KC

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 20, 9:20 pm, KC wrote:
dean wrote:
Does the lawn above a septic field need any special treatment? More
lime? More or less feed? The grass above mine is a bit rough so I was
just wondering if I should treat it differently.

Thanks for any advice!

DeanB

Define "rough". How long has the field been in place?

KC

Rough - as in 'not very nice'. A bit barish and weedy and thin, maybe
a bit of thatch in it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 21, 12:08 am, dean wrote:
On Apr 20, 9:20 pm, KC wrote:

dean wrote:
Does the lawn above a septic field need any special treatment? More
lime? More or less feed? The grass above mine is a bit rough so I was
just wondering if I should treat it differently.

Thanks for any advice!

DeanB

Define "rough". How long has the field been in place?

KC

Rough - as in 'not very nice'. A bit barish and weedy and thin, maybe
a bit of thatch in it.

When I saw your post, I was hoping for a knowledgeable response
because mine is like that too. An evaporation field is closer to the
surface and I would suspect that neutrients from the septic would make
the grass grow better and roots would not dry out. ( I do know that if
there are spots growing vigorously that septic is coming up.) Maybe
we are applying too much fertilizer. Also my backyard pH is low and
there is a lot of moss in spots which would indicate liming is
necessary which I did last month.

Frank

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 20 Apr 2007 16:01:11 -0700, dean wrote:

Does the lawn above a septic field need any special treatment? More
lime? More or less feed? The grass above mine is a bit rough so I was
just wondering if I should treat it differently.

Thanks for any advice!

DeanB

When you trench, you normally destroy the topsoil so if you want
nice lawn, you have to repair the trench damage. With proper lawn
care the difference will become less each year.

Posted to alt.home.repair
KC KC is offline

dean wrote:
On Apr 20, 9:20 pm, KC wrote:
dean wrote:
Does the lawn above a septic field need any special treatment? More
lime? More or less feed? The grass above mine is a bit rough so I was
just wondering if I should treat it differently.

Thanks for any advice!

DeanB

Define "rough". How long has the field been in place?

KC

Rough - as in 'not very nice'. A bit barish and weedy and thin, maybe
a bit of thatch in it.

OK, here's some possibilities:
-Field is buried deep and surface is not getting enough water.
-Field was backfilled with hardpan soil instead of top soil.
-Chlorine(bleach) thru the system has changed the pH level of the
soil.

First thing I'd do is get a soil test done thru your county extension
service(agricultural agent). Locally they cost $8 and you get a
comprehensive evaluation report with instructions on how to correct
any problems found. If the report comes back ok, it's a matter of
reseeding & watering.
KC

Posted to alt.home.repair

According to KC :
dean wrote:
On Apr 20, 9:20 pm, KC wrote:
dean wrote:
Does the lawn above a septic field need any special treatment? More
lime? More or less feed? The grass above mine is a bit rough so I was
just wondering if I should treat it differently.

Thanks for any advice!

DeanB

Define "rough". How long has the field been in place?

KC

Rough - as in 'not very nice'. A bit barish and weedy and thin, maybe
a bit of thatch in it.

OK, here's some possibilities:
-Field is buried deep and surface is not getting enough water.
-Field was backfilled with hardpan soil instead of top soil.
-Chlorine(bleach) thru the system has changed the pH level of the
soil.

Sand. Shallower septic systems are often not buried very deep,
and the contractors don't put enough of a topsoil layer on top.

Also, because of vegetation clearance requirements, many septic
beds have far more sunlight hitting them than surrounding areas.

Either or both conspire to make the ground a lot drier.
--
Chris Lewis,