Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Flooded basement and Mold

Hello,

Our basement is still getting flooded after five days! We are pumping
out the water as fast as we can. We have carpet down there and
furniture.

We are going to hire a company like Chemdry to get the water out and
put fans in.
However, I just learned that only certain companies specialize in Mold
remediation. Should I get a company that does both? Do companies even
do both? Or should I have it cleaned out then decide of the mold is
forming?

What is the logical way to go?

I don't want mold.

Thanks for your help.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 19, 5:59 am, Healthy Stealthy
wrote:
Hello,

Our basement is still getting flooded after five days! We are pumping
out the water as fast as we can. We have carpet down there and
furniture.

We are going to hire a company like Chemdry to get the water out and
put fans in.
However, I just learned that only certain companies specialize in Mold
remediation. Should I get a company that does both? Do companies even
do both? Or should I have it cleaned out then decide of the mold is
forming?

What is the logical way to go?

I don't want mold.

Thanks for your help.

Throw out the carpet after 5 days its trash Simply spraying down
walls and floors with bleach will kill mold. Use a garden sprayer and
dilute it 50%. Fans will help a little, they move air, a dehumidifier
or 2 is needed to lower humidity and dry it out, Many dehumidifiers
wont run below 60 f and work best at 70 and above, get one or 2 large
units and have them drain to the sump. Ther are dehumidifiers that run
at colder temps but as temp is lower so if efficiency Get a digital
humidistat to monitor humidity . you should drop it to 50% or less as
quickly as possible. bleach is a cheap easy and effective way to kill
mold, so dont get suckered on a big cost, it might take 10 minutes to
spray a small basement and only take a few gallons bleach. Key is dry
it as fast as possible, You need dehumidifiers for that, you need to
monitor humidity.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 19 Apr 2007 03:59:40 -0700, Healthy Stealthy
wrote:

Hello,

Our basement is still getting flooded after five days! We are pumping
out the water as fast as we can. We have carpet down there and
furniture.

We are going to hire a company like Chemdry to get the water out and
put fans in.
However, I just learned that only certain companies specialize in Mold
remediation. Should I get a company that does both? Do companies even
do both? Or should I have it cleaned out then decide of the mold is
forming?

What is the logical way to go?

I don't want mold.

Thanks for your help.

Where are you pumping the water TO?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Hello,

Our basement is still getting flooded after five days! We are pumping
out the water as fast as we can. We have carpet down there and
furniture.

We are going to hire a company like Chemdry to get the water out and
put fans in.
However, I just learned that only certain companies specialize in Mold
remediation. Should I get a company that does both? Do companies even
do both? Or should I have it cleaned out then decide of the mold is
forming?

What is the logical way to go?

I don't want mold.

Thanks for your help.

First get rid of the cause, the water. As for mold, it has to reach a
certain level before even the EPA recommends a mold expert. Might be
just mildew. For some reading: http://www.epa.gov/mold/ If it was
me, I would remove the moisture asap, and all the food for the mold.
Just a guess...

tom @ www.URLBee.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

tom @ www.URLBee.com- Hide quoted text -

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

There are companies that do both. With it under water mold won't grow-
its when its pumped out. Get Chem dry out there to clean and dry the
basement. If you hire a mold remediation company they will charge you
alot. You can do it yourself or hire in a local mold prevention
applicator at a third of the cost.

Any more questions check out: www.moldshield.org

Flooded Basement jcmilla Home Repair 33 July 3rd 06 06:34 PM
Flooded Basement Amy L. Home Repair 11 November 19th 05 01:49 AM
Flooded Basement m Ransley Home Repair 0 November 18th 05 10:03 AM
flooded basement Susan Home Repair 7 October 18th 05 04:19 PM
How to handle the mold problem in the basement? [email protected] Home Repair 10 July 19th 05 03:02 PM