Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Hydraulic cement & basement leak

Live in Southern Maine - there is currently a small stream running across my
basement floor to the sump pump well where the drainage system is also
dumping water. The stream is coming from cracks in the poured foundation
wall where the wall meets the floor. The sump pump well & basement wall
have been dry since the last big rain event last Mother's Day so this only
happens when we get a lot of rain in a short period of time.

Looking at hydraulic cement to stop the leak in the wall: Do I just chisel
away at the point where the wall meets the floor to open the cracks or can I
just press the cement in? If I do have to open the crack what is the best
method considering the area I need to repair? Will the cement smell bad
enough to send my wife away for a night or two?

Thanks!
Kevin

Posted to alt.home.repair

Buck writes:

Looking at hydraulic cement to stop the leak in the wall: Do I just
chisel away at the point where the wall meets the floor to open the
cracks or can I just press the cement in?

Think of your basement wall and floor as a leaky boat in a pond.

Do you really think mashing a little cement into dirty, old corners is
going to stop your boat from leaking?

There is no special "hydraulic" cement. All portland cement is hydraulic.
That label is just a way to sell it at exorbitant prices to suckers.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 13:07:35 -0400, "Buck"
wrote:

Live in Southern Maine - there is currently a small stream running across my
basement floor to the sump pump well where the drainage system is also
dumping water. The stream is coming from cracks in the poured foundation
wall where the wall meets the floor. The sump pump well & basement wall
have been dry since the last big rain event last Mother's Day so this only
happens when we get a lot of rain in a short period of time.

Looking at hydraulic cement to stop the leak in the wall: Do I just chisel
away at the point where the wall meets the floor to open the cracks or can I
just press the cement in? If I do have to open the crack what is the best
method considering the area I need to repair? Will the cement smell bad
enough to send my wife away for a night or two?

Thanks!
Kevin

Better idea, put in a second sump over near where the water is coming
in. Either inside or outside, doesn't matter much which.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

in. * Either inside or outside, doesn't matter much which.- Hide quoted text -

yeah FIX the water problem, broken bad downspout lines? clogged
gutters water spilling over gutter edge entering dirty around
foundation?

do you have a interior french drain?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Buck wrote:
Will the cement smell bad
enough to send my wife away for a night or two?

Thanks!
Kevin

We can say yes if you want her gone for two nights or would you like more?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...

wrote:
[...]

Thanks to all, but I really don't think I have a real water problem. Yes, I
do have an interior french drain. The water runs down a hill behind the
house and seeps through the foundation on that side. The only time there is
ever water in the sump pump hole or coming through the walls is during a
flooding, soaking rain storm. The type of storm that washes out bridges and
roads. Otherwise my basement & the french drain system are bone dry. I was
just hoping to seal up the crack in the foundation and contain the water in
the drain system.

One very odd thing - as the water table rises the water seeps through the
foudation before it starts flowing through the french drain system. When it
drops it stops seeping through the foundation first.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The proper cure is surface grading outside your house, water or
damp proofing on the outside of the wall, and a French drain
properly run on the outside of the house.

All that being said, you may have some success with a product
called Xypex. It grows crystals in the voids in concrete.
Concrete is not waterproof, this product makes it more water
resistant. If the cracks are hairline, it may help. I would not
spend the time to install water-plug concrete on the inside - a
bit like the little Dutch boy holding his finger in the dam. It
doesn't cost much to try it on the inside and it might be
successful, though I would not expect it to be a permanent
solution. It is excellent technology on the outside, but I would
still plan on water/damp proofing. http://www.xypex.com/
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)