Posted to alt.home.repair

Default hydraulic cement around pvc waste pipe

i pulled my toilet (on the 2nd floor) and want to seal around where the pvc
waste pipe comes out of the floor. there are large gaps between the plywood
and the pipe and the thinset for the tile begins a few inches from that
spot. i thought i'd simply use a backer to create support and then use some
hydraulic cement to form a tight seal around the pipe.

question. do i need to worry about the hydraulic cement expanding and
crushing the pipe? there will be expansion room vertically and possibly
some laterally outward, but i want to make sure because if it does crack the
pipe, it becomes a major repair project instead of a simple minor project.
thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 8 Nov 2006 12:15:57 -0500, "hoops" wrote:

i pulled my toilet (on the 2nd floor) and want to seal around where the pvc
waste pipe comes out of the floor. there are large gaps between the plywood
and the pipe and the thinset for the tile begins a few inches from that
spot. i thought i'd simply use a backer to create support and then use some
hydraulic cement to form a tight seal around the pipe.

question. do i need to worry about the hydraulic cement expanding and
crushing the pipe? there will be expansion room vertically and possibly
some laterally outward, but i want to make sure because if it does crack the
pipe, it becomes a major repair project instead of a simple minor project.
thanks

I've used this to seal where the waste pipe exits through my block
wall foundation. No worry, it won't crack the pipe. It doesn't
expand much. But I'm not sure it will stick to the wood well enough.
I'd be inclined to use expanding foam instead. Spray it in the gap,
let it harden, and trim away any excess.

HTH,

Paul

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 8 Nov 2006 12:15:57 -0500, "hoops" wrote:

i pulled my toilet (on the 2nd floor) and want to seal around where the pvc
waste pipe comes out of the floor. there are large gaps between the plywood
and the pipe and the thinset for the tile begins a few inches from that
spot. i thought i'd simply use a backer to create support and then use some
hydraulic cement to form a tight seal around the pipe.

question. do i need to worry about the hydraulic cement expanding and
crushing the pipe? there will be expansion room vertically and possibly
some laterally outward, but i want to make sure because if it does crack the
pipe, it becomes a major repair project instead of a simple minor project.
thanks

Why do you want to fill this gap? As long as the toilet is covering
the hole, just leave it. Your other option is to use some of that
"Great Stuff" expandable foam, which would be easier to do. But
almost all toilet flanges have a hole next to them, so why waste your
time doing this?