Posted to alt.home.repair

Default psi on carpet / flooring

I've got a large TV that weighs 160 pounds. The table I'm using for it has 4
legs, each about 1 sqr inch of area.

So, these legs will each have 40 psi on them. Any easy methods decreasing
this psi?

I already have rubber coasters under the legs, has anybody come up with a
better way of spreading the pressure?

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2007-04-15, Jack S wrote:

I already have rubber coasters under the legs, has anybody come up with a
better way of spreading the pressure?

Small metal plates? The plates should deflect slightly to spread the
load over their full area.

Wayne

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jack S" wrote in message
news
I've got a large TV that weighs 160 pounds. The table I'm using for it has
4 legs, each about 1 sqr inch of area.

So, these legs will each have 40 psi on them. Any easy methods decreasing
this psi?

I already have rubber coasters under the legs, has anybody come up with a
better way of spreading the pressure?

Thanks

How about small tiles, the 4-and-whatever-fraction squares you can buy
individually at Home Despot or Lowe's?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jack S" wrote in message
news
I've got a large TV that weighs 160 pounds. The table I'm using for it has
4 legs, each about 1 sqr inch of area.

So, these legs will each have 40 psi on them. Any easy methods decreasing
this psi?

I already have rubber coasters under the legs, has anybody come up with a
better way of spreading the pressure?

My TV is 185 pounds and I built a stand that is another 50 pounds or so.
Check your other furniture and you'll find it is not that big a deal. Only
wany it to add larger feet of some sort, or larger pads. as you already did.
Personally, I prefer casters tor glides to make it easier to move the table
for cleaning.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 17:07:47 GMT, "Jack S" wrote:

I've got a large TV that weighs 160 pounds. The table I'm using for it has 4
legs, each about 1 sqr inch of area.

So, these legs will each have 40 psi on them. Any easy methods decreasing
this psi?

I already have rubber coasters under the legs, has anybody come up with a
better way of spreading the pressure?

Thanks

You need the TV tied to a safety chain/cord anchored to the wall
studs. Several hundred kids have been killed each year by falling
TVs.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
t...

"Jack S" wrote in message
news
I've got a large TV that weighs 160 pounds. The table I'm using for it
has 4 legs, each about 1 sqr inch of area.

So, these legs will each have 40 psi on them. Any easy methods decreasing
this psi?

I already have rubber coasters under the legs, has anybody come up with a
better way of spreading the pressure?

My TV is 185 pounds and I built a stand that is another 50 pounds or so.
Check your other furniture and you'll find it is not that big a deal.
Only wany it to add larger feet of some sort, or larger pads. as you
already did. Personally, I prefer casters tor glides to make it easier to
move the table for cleaning.

The PSI isn't a problem- a women in spike heels easily exceeds that. (Back
when female tourists wore heels, historical sites with wood floors sometimes
passed out slippers or heel pads when they noticed sharp heels walking in.)
In a carpeted room, crushing the carpet and pad is a problem. Those dents
from a long-term crush just don't wanna come out. They sell coasters with
fingers on the bottom for that, but I've never tried them, because I also
wanna be able to move the stuff as needed to work on wires, blow out dust
bunnies, etc.

aem sends....

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jack S" wrote:

I've got a large TV that weighs 160 pounds. The table I'm using for it has 4
legs, each about 1 sqr inch of area.

So, these legs will each have 40 psi on them. Any easy methods decreasing
this psi?

I already have rubber coasters under the legs, has anybody come up with a
better way of spreading the pressure?

Well, it's not rocket science, is it? I assume you are trying to prevent the
carpet from crushing too much? 40 psi is well within the bearing capability of
most construction. Consider the weight on a woman's high heels...

You can put the table on a couple of 1x4 boards, or lay a sheet of plywood down,
or get a different stand...
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jack S wrote:

I've got a large TV that weighs 160 pounds. The table I'm using for it has 4
legs, each about 1 sqr inch of area.

So, these legs will each have 40 psi on them. Any easy methods decreasing
this psi?

I already have rubber coasters under the legs, has anybody come up with a
better way of spreading the pressure?

Thanks

I assume you are trying not to crush the carpet. Take the TV off the
table. Drill a fine guide hole in the bottom of each leg. Drive in a
finish nail and leave about 1/2 to 3/4" protruding. Put the table back
in place, make sure it is level. Put the TV on the table. The nails
should rest on the solid floor and keep the wood bottom of the feet off
the carpet.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
"Jack S" wrote in message
news
I've got a large TV that weighs 160 pounds. The table I'm using for it
has 4 legs, each about 1 sqr inch of area.

So, these legs will each have 40 psi on them. Any easy methods decreasing
this psi?

I already have rubber coasters under the legs, has anybody come up with a
better way of spreading the pressure?

Thanks

How about small tiles, the 4-and-whatever-fraction squares you can buy
individually at Home Despot or Lowe's?

Yeh, that's what I tried and it actually worked - I was afraid they would
just crack, but they held up.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"deke" wrote in message
On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 17:07:47 GMT, "Jack S" wrote:

I've got a large TV that weighs 160 pounds. The table I'm using for it has
4
legs, each about 1 sqr inch of area.

So, these legs will each have 40 psi on them. Any easy methods decreasing
this psi?

I already have rubber coasters under the legs, has anybody come up with a
better way of spreading the pressure?

Thanks

You need the TV tied to a safety chain/cord anchored to the wall
studs. Several hundred kids have been killed each year by falling
TVs.

To hell with the kids - if they can't move fast that's just Darwinism in
action..

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Rick Blaine" wrote in message
"Jack S" wrote:

I've got a large TV that weighs 160 pounds. The table I'm using for it has
4
legs, each about 1 sqr inch of area.

So, these legs will each have 40 psi on them. Any easy methods decreasing
this psi?

I already have rubber coasters under the legs, has anybody come up with a
better way of spreading the pressure?

Well, it's not rocket science, is it? I assume you are trying to prevent
the
carpet from crushing too much? 40 psi is well within the bearing
capability of
most construction. Consider the weight on a woman's high heels...

Yeah, but women in high heels don't stand in the same exact spot for years
on end.

You can put the table on a couple of 1x4 boards, or lay a sheet of plywood
down,
or get a different stand...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jack S wrote:
I've got a large TV that weighs 160 pounds. The table I'm using for
it has 4 legs, each about 1 sqr inch of area.

So, these legs will each have 40 psi on them. Any easy methods
decreasing this psi?

I already have rubber coasters under the legs, has anybody come up
with a better way of spreading the pressure?

Thanks

To follow up on Norminn's good suggestion, if you look around your will
find commercial versions of it. While that should do what you want, frankly
I don't worry. I have a grand piano sitting in my living room with out
anything special to protect the carpet. The carpet under the old upright
(almost as heavy) did may indents in the carpet, but they disappeared in
less than six months.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 13:12:41 -0500, deke wrote:

You need the TV tied to a safety chain/cord anchored to the wall
studs. Several hundred kids have been killed each year by falling
TVs.

When you're done doing this, teach your kids braille. Thousands go blind
every year because TV IS BAD FOR YOUR EYES!!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kuskokwim" wrote in message
On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 13:12:41 -0500, deke wrote:

You need the TV tied to a safety chain/cord anchored to the wall
studs. Several hundred kids have been killed each year by falling
TVs.

When you're done doing this, teach your kids braille. Thousands go blind
every year because TV IS BAD FOR YOUR EYES!!!

It's even worse for the brain.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 22:55:38 GMT, "Jack S" wrote:

"Kuskokwim" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 13:12:41 -0500, deke wrote:

You need the TV tied to a safety chain/cord anchored to the wall
studs. Several hundred kids have been killed each year by falling
TVs.

When you're done doing this, teach your kids braille. Thousands go blind
every year because TV IS BAD FOR YOUR EYES!!!

It's even worse for the brain.

True. A big TV falling on you can cause a severe head injury. The
broken glass fragments can be bad for your eyes.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 17:15:16 GMT, Wayne Whitney