Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cracking spackle around shower stall...ideas?

I have about 1/2 to 3/4 inch gap from where the wall board ends and the top
of my shower stal. When painting the room last fall, I filled in the gap
with spackle in several layers. Now, it is cracked where the wall meets the
spackle. I also caulked the area. Any suggestions on how to not have it
crack. Thanks

John

Posted to alt.home.repair

John W wrote:
I have about 1/2 to 3/4 inch gap from where the wall board ends and
the top of my shower stal. When painting the room last fall, I filled
in the gap with spackle in several layers. Now, it is cracked where
the wall meets the spackle. I also caulked the area. Any suggestions
on how to not have it crack. Thanks

John

I can't really see it so this may not apply, but spackling does not
bend, so if the door opening and closing is causing any movement of that
area, spackling will fail. You may need to better secure the door and
drywall.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 12:57:29 -0400, "John W" wrote:

I have about 1/2 to 3/4 inch gap from where the wall board ends and the top
of my shower stal. When painting the room last fall, I filled in the gap
with spackle in several layers. Now, it is cracked where the wall meets the
spackle. I also caulked the area. Any suggestions on how to not have it
crack. Thanks

John

Yep, silicone or latex caulking would have prevented that problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair
3G 3G is offline

"John W" wrote in message
|I have about 1/2 to 3/4 inch gap from where the wall board ends and the
top
| of my shower stal. When painting the room last fall, I filled in the
gap
| with spackle in several layers. Now, it is cracked where the wall
meets the
| spackle. I also caulked the area. Any suggestions on how to not have
it
| crack. Thanks
|
| John

a piece a trim molding works great to hide the gap and gives the shower
stall a little more character.

or use mesh tape and joint compound instead of spackle.