Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How Do You Put a Wire Wheel on a Bench Grinder?

There should be a couple of large beveled washers and a nut with a bench
grinder. How is the grind stone held on?

--
Steve Barker

"Ken Hall" wrote in message
The shaft on a bench grinder is threaded to hold a grinding wheel, not
a wire wheel. The center of a wire wheel is much thinner, so the
shaft isn't threaded to draw up on the thin wheel.

How do most people mount the thinner brush-wheel on the smooth
unthreaded zone of the shaft?

-- Ken

Posted to alt.home.repair

There are wire wheels with thicker centers also. Or use the proper 5/8"
washers.

--
Steve Barker

"Ken Hall" wrote in message
On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 22:31:06 -0500, "Steve Barker"
wrote:

There should be a couple of large beveled washers and a nut with a bench
grinder. How is the grind stone held on?

The grinding wheel is thick enough to span the smooth (unthreaded)
part of the shaft. The wire wheel is not.

-- Ken

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Steve Barker, nightscape wrote:
I have never seen a wire wheel with a thick center. I don't understand why.
Everyone is having the same problem, including me. When you start piling
washers on front and back...good luck keeping the wheel running straight and
balanced.

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...er-209140-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, July 9, 2016 at 3:44:04 PM UTC-4, nightscape wrote:
replying to Steve Barker, nightscape wrote:
I have never seen a wire wheel with a thick center. I don't understand why.
Everyone is having the same problem, including me. When you start piling
washers on front and back...good luck keeping the wheel running straight and
balanced.

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...er-209140-.htm

Unfortunately, all of the responders were either killed or seriously injured
9 years ago when the wire wheels flew off of their bench grinders after
being improperly mounted.

While your response is appreciated, it is 9 years too late.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, July 9, 2016 at 5:40:37 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Saturday, July 9, 2016 at 3:44:04 PM UTC-4, nightscape wrote:
replying to Steve Barker, nightscape wrote:
I have never seen a wire wheel with a thick center. I don't understand why.
Everyone is having the same problem, including me. When you start piling
washers on front and back...good luck keeping the wheel running straight and
balanced.
--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...er-209140-.htm

Unfortunately, all of the responders were either killed or seriously injured
9 years ago when the wire wheels flew off of their bench grinders after
being improperly mounted.

While your response is appreciated, it is 9 years too late.

It was so tragic and unusual that The Fringe Division of The FBI was called in to investigate. Fringe called in The CDC because it was suspected that the tragic events were caused by an outbreak of the virus that causes The Dumbassification Of America. I see the result of the pandemic everyday right here on Usenet plus in the news and entertainment media. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Virus Monster