Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Replacing Radiators with Baseboard Heat

Can anyone tell me how big and messy of a job this is? I'm renting in
a brownstone (approx. 100 years old) and the landlord didn't maintain
the boiler unit, so it rusted out. He is replacing all the radiators
in each unit with baseboard heat, and has just given me 3 days notice
until the work begins.

I've done some home repairs myself in the past and I love working on
projects, but this is way beyond me, so I can't even begin to imagine
how long it will take to complete or what is entailed in removing the
radiators and installing the baseboard heateing units. I've got 2 cats
as well, and will be home while they are working, so I am mainly
concerned about health hazards with breathing in paint dust and
chemicals from the potential sawing, sanding, drilling, etc.

This seems to be a job better left until the unit is vacant, but my
husband disagrees and doesn't think it will be as big of a project as
I do. If anyone has done this, and can offer some answers, I am very
thankful.

J.