Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Putting an indoor decoration outdoors

I have a 3-foot round wall "sculpture" made, I supspect, out of tin.
My plan is to put it outside on the front of my house. Before I do
that, I want to protect it somehow from the rain, so it won't rust and
so that I won't have rusty stains dripping down from the sculpture.

Does anyone have any ideas for what I can use to coat the sculpture
so that it will be completely protected from the rain?

I was thinking of some sort of clear, spray-on coating.

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
--

8^)~ Sue (remove the x to email)
~~~~

As seen on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=wacvet

http://www.suzanne-eckhardt.com/
http://www.intergnat.com/malebashing/
http://www.intergnat.com/pussygames/
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 20:10:48 GMT, Suzie-Q
wrote:

I have a 3-foot round wall "sculpture" made, I supspect, out of tin.
My plan is to put it outside on the front of my house. Before I do
that, I want to protect it somehow from the rain, so it won't rust and
so that I won't have rusty stains dripping down from the sculpture.

Does anyone have any ideas for what I can use to coat the sculpture
so that it will be completely protected from the rain?

I was thinking of some sort of clear, spray-on coating.

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Check a "girl store" like Michaels.

http://www.michaels.com/art/online/home

Good Luck.
--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a 3-foot round wall "sculpture" made, I supspect, out of tin.
My plan is to put it outside on the front of my house. Before I do
that, I want to protect it somehow from the rain, so it won't rust and
so that I won't have rusty stains dripping down from the sculpture.

Does anyone have any ideas for what I can use to coat the sculpture
so that it will be completely protected from the rain?

I was thinking of some sort of clear, spray-on coating.

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Check a "girl store" like Michaels.

http://www.michaels.com/art/online/home

Good Luck.

Sorry, search "clear coat" less quotation marks.

--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

I have a 3-foot round wall "sculpture" made, I supspect, out of tin.
My plan is to put it outside on the front of my house. Before I do
that, I want to protect it somehow from the rain, so it won't rust and
so that I won't have rusty stains dripping down from the sculpture.

Does anyone have any ideas for what I can use to coat the sculpture
so that it will be completely protected from the rain?

I was thinking of some sort of clear, spray-on coating.

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Mount the whole thing on a piece of wood or plywood so that it is set
away from the house. Then put a gutter on the bottom so that water
drippint down the wood won't work its way back to the house. Perhaps
a piece of cotton clothesline or rope at the end of the gutter will
make sure the water goes down the line to the ground, instead of back
to the house.

Oh, yeah. in addition, miter the bottom edge 45 degrees so that going
back to the house would require the water to go uphill (which it can
do somewhat -- I don't know how much). And/Or mount the wood with
spacers so the whole thing is a half inch away from the house.

Then make sure all this is working befort the rust starts.

As you can tell, I wouldn't depend on the coating.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a 3-foot round wall "sculpture" made, I supspect, out of tin.
My plan is to put it outside on the front of my house. Before I do
that, I want to protect it somehow from the rain, so it won't rust and
so that I won't have rusty stains dripping down from the sculpture.

If it's really made of tin, you don't have to worry about rusty
stains. Tin doesn't rust the way ferrous metals do. However, if you
live in a cold climate, you will have a different problem. Tin
disease. Prolonged exposure to cold temperatures causes metallic, or
"white" tin to covert to powdery "gray" tin. If you leave your tin
sculpture exposed to cold weather it eventually will disintegrate, and
nothing you spray on will prevent that. The key temperature is 13
degrees centigrade.

outdoors downlighting [email protected] Home Repair 7 December 29th 06 10:20 PM
Concrete lintel decoration lemmy UK diy 7 November 24th 06 12:23 AM
Outdoors TV b Electronics Repair 5 July 7th 06 05:23 PM
Bannister decoration DanR UK diy 2 January 16th 05 04:50 AM