Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Preventing Carpinter Ants

I've found that Ortho Home Defense and Hot Shot Home Insect Control don't
seem to kill ants (the ants are still alive and kicking after several
minutes of contact)....am I correct in thinking these products are totally
useless?

Since the aforementioned clear non-repellent products don't seem to work, my
prevention strategy is to spray outside of building (where wood meets
concrete) once a month with ordinary home and garden aerosol (which DOES
kill ants). I do this mainly to prevent foragers from wanting to venture
into my townhouse, since the ants dislike the smell of the insecticide. I
try to direct spray so it gets a little bit underneath the siding. So far
this strategy seems to be working.

Was wondering if there is anything that would repel ants besides home and
garden insecticide? (looking for something besides insecticide which would
have a smell that would repel ants, but which would not cause any damage to
the wood or siding, and which would be totally harmless to humans). Does
something like that exist?

Thanks,

J.

Posted to alt.home.repair

You have a moisture problem somewhere.

Correct that and your ant problem will go away on it's own.

But when I find carpenter ants or other pest problems I call the pros.

The company we use always gets rid of the problem pronto and gives us
good advise besides.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 9, 2:35 pm, "jay-n-123" wrote:
[...]

Do a Google on Termidor and Phantom products.

Posted to alt.home.repair

You could try telling them that you have a non-union shop?? :-)

... Sorry I could not resist.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
Lar Lar is offline

jay-n-123 wrote:

I've found that Ortho Home Defense and Hot Shot Home Insect Control don't
seem to kill ants (the ants are still alive and kicking after several
minutes of contact)....am I correct in thinking these products are totally
useless?

Since the aforementioned clear non-repellent products don't seem to work,

Not sure what the active of Hot Shot Home Insect is but I believe The
Ortho product is Bifenthrin, which is considered a repellent. Any of the
actives that end in -thrin are in a group of insecticides called
pyrethroids and they are considered repellents. Many companies base
their work on bifenthrin though it probably is at least twice as strong
as the over the counter product.

my
prevention strategy is to spray outside of building (where wood meets
concrete) once a month with ordinary home and garden aerosol (which DOES
kill ants). I do this mainly to prevent foragers from wanting to venture
into my townhouse, since the ants dislike the smell of the insecticide. I
try to direct spray so it gets a little bit underneath the siding. So far
this strategy seems to be working.

The best preventative is to make sure no tree limbs or shrubbery touches
the side of the structure.

Was wondering if there is anything that would repel ants besides home and
garden insecticide? (looking for something besides insecticide which would
have a smell that would repel ants, but which would not cause any damage to
the wood or siding, and which would be totally harmless to humans). Does
something like that exist?

The best long term control of carp ants, and other ants too is the
Advance Carp Ant Bait...just sprinkle it around the outside will reduce
the numbers greatly.

Lar

Posted to alt.home.repair

jay-n-123 wrote:

I've found that Ortho Home Defense and Hot Shot Home Insect Control don't
seem to kill ants (the ants are still alive and kicking after several
minutes of contact)....am I correct in thinking these products are totally
useless?

Since the aforementioned clear non-repellent products don't seem to work, my
prevention strategy is to spray outside of building (where wood meets
concrete) once a month with ordinary home and garden aerosol (which DOES
kill ants). I do this mainly to prevent foragers from wanting to venture

A really, really bad idea. Have you read about honey bees disappearing?
There are loads of BENEFICIAL insects that we NEED around and dumping
poison to keep them from getting into the house is a very bad choice.

I would start by locating nests, if you have carpenter ants in/on the
house. If you have trees, shrubs or wood fence infested, then take care
of the problem - get rid of dead/damaged wood and the carpenter ants
will go.

If they do forage into the house, clean it up, seal up entries best you
can and use baits in the house. They forage in evening and it is easy
to find trails to bait or to locate the nest.

into my townhouse, since the ants dislike the smell of the insecticide. I
try to direct spray so it gets a little bit underneath the siding. So far
this strategy seems to be working.

Was wondering if there is anything that would repel ants besides home and

Bugs belong outdoors. Seal up fine openings around windows, doors,
plumbing entries, etc. Keep wood painted and in good repair. Keep
landscaping off the house = trim tree limbs hanging onto roof, keep
gutters clear of debris, keep shrubs from touching wood structure. Then
inspect very thoroughly at least once a year for signs of termite tubes
or boring insects.

garden insecticide? (looking for something besides insecticide which would
have a smell that would repel ants, but which would not cause any damage to
the wood or siding, and which would be totally harmless to humans). Does
something like that exist?

No. It's spring, we just had company - lots of sweets sitting on the
counter or getting spilled. Ants all over the counter, as expected.
I'm going out to get a little bottle of boric acid ant bait. Ants will
be gone tomorrow.

During unusual weather conditions, lots of pests come indoors that
normally would not. During a drought, I couldn't walk outside with food
or drink and not have hornets coming after it..even tried to get at my
eyes!
Thanks,

J.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Years ago I tried liquid ant bait from www.gardensalive.com and
havn't seen a carpenter ant since then. Several years later.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 09 Apr 2007 21:35:59 GMT, "jay-n-123"
wrote:

[...]

I heard bay leaves can repell some ants but don't remember why.

tom @ www.Carpenter-Ant-Killer.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

tom @www.Carpenter-Ant-Killer.com- Hide quoted text -

Fipronil kills the nest - its the same stuff terminix uses. You can
get it in "Combat" syringe tubes at HD.

I had them in my wall - could hear them chewing the wood while I sat
down eating dinner! I drilled holes in the board, injected 10 tubes of
the stuff, they were all dead in 2 days and never came back.

But I cannot say that this stufff is better than any other material,
all I can say is that it works and Terminix uses it.

Preventing Snipe? trs80 Woodworking 18 January 10th 07 03:42 AM
Ants, Lots of Ants Steve Home Repair 21 July 26th 06 04:13 AM
Preventing disease in your garden Scott Eng Home Repair 0 May 24th 06 02:04 PM
Preventing TV standby mode [email protected] Electronics Repair 7 January 4th 06 08:23 AM
preventing parking markzoom UK diy 78 April 21st 05 09:57 PM