Posted to alt.home.repair
Walter Cohen Walter Cohen is offline

Default Preventing Carpinter Ants

Combat ant killing gel...purchased at HD and it works every time, each year.

"dean" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Apr 11, 2:22 pm, Just Joshin wrote:
On Mon, 09 Apr 2007 21:35:59 GMT, "jay-n-123"
wrote:

I've found that Ortho Home Defense and Hot Shot Home Insect Control
don't
seem to kill ants (the ants are still alive and kicking after several
minutes of contact)....am I correct in thinking these products are
totally
useless?

Since the aforementioned clear non-repellent products don't seem to
work, my
prevention strategy is to spray outside of building (where wood meets
concrete) once a month with ordinary home and garden aerosol (which DOES
kill ants). I do this mainly to prevent foragers from wanting to
venture
into my townhouse, since the ants dislike the smell of the insecticide.
try to direct spray so it gets a little bit underneath the siding. So
far
this strategy seems to be working.

Was wondering if there is anything that would repel ants besides home
and
garden insecticide? (looking for something besides insecticide which
would
have a smell that would repel ants, but which would not cause any damage
the wood or siding, and which would be totally harmless to humans).
Does
something like that exist?

Thanks,

J.

I heard bay leaves can repell some ants but don't remember why.

tom @www.Carpenter-Ant-Killer.com- Hide quoted text -

Fipronil kills the nest - its the same stuff terminix uses. You can
get it in "Combat" syringe tubes at HD.

I had them in my wall - could hear them chewing the wood while I sat
down eating dinner! I drilled holes in the board, injected 10 tubes of
the stuff, they were all dead in 2 days and never came back.

But I cannot say that this stufff is better than any other material,
all I can say is that it works and Terminix uses it.