Posted to alt.home.repair

Default It's Termite Season.......

Well, found some swamers in the basement over the weekend. Did
endless searches in google groups but most information came up old, by
about 2 - 4 yrs old. Noticed that many people offered many solutions,
but still have questions. Since I was able to SEE the little buggers
and know that they are subterranean termite's and they are active my
coarse of action I think will be this.

1) Have a licensed pest control guy apply Termidor.
2) Buy the Advance Termite Bait kit and apply traps around house. I
plan to monitor and bait the traps myself.

Has anyone tried either of the above recently? Like I said, I found
information that appeared to be over 2 - 4 yrs old and would like some
input more recent.

TIA,
-paul

Posted to alt.home.repair
Lar Lar is offline

Paul Flansburg wrote:
1) Have a licensed pest control guy apply Termidor.
2) Buy the Advance Termite Bait kit and apply traps around house. I
plan to monitor and bait the traps myself.

Has anyone tried either of the above recently? Like I said, I found
information that appeared to be over 2 - 4 yrs old and would like some
input more recent.

TIA,
-paul

If you have the Termidor applied professionally I would save your money
you will spend on the Advance. Termidor has been on the market almost 7
years now and I still have yet to have a call back on any home I have
treated with it.

Lar
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 10, 12:06 am, Lar wrote:
PaulFlansburgwrote:

1) Have a licensed pest control guy apply Termidor.

2) Buy the Advance Termite Bait kit and apply traps around house. I
plan to monitor and bait the traps myself.

Has anyone tried either of the above recently? Like I said, I found
information that appeared to be over 2 - 4 yrs old and would like some
input more recent.

TIA,
-paul

If you have the Termidor applied professionally I would save your money
you will spend on the Advance. Termidor has been on the market almost 7
years now and I still have yet to have a call back on any home I have
treated with it.

Lar

Thanks Lar, I've read alot of your responses and with the research
that I have done it all makes sense. Questions that I have, can you
provide any helpful sites that explain the whole process for
application of the Termidor? I have a raised ranch thats ~1600 square
feet, can you give me a rough cost? I live in New England, Mass, and
have yet to get estimates. I plan on at least 3 estimates before I
hire anyone. Based on your experince, what should I look for and look
out for with an exterminator?

TIA,
-paul

Posted to alt.home.repair
Lar Lar is offline

Paul Flansburg wrote:

Thanks Lar, I've read alot of your responses and with the research
that I have done it all makes sense. Questions that I have, can you
provide any helpful sites that explain the whole process for
application of the Termidor? I have a raised ranch thats ~1600 square
feet, can you give me a rough cost? I live in New England, Mass, and
have yet to get estimates. I plan on at least 3 estimates before I
hire anyone. Based on your experince, what should I look for and look
out for with an exterminator?

TIA,
-paul

http://termidorhome.com/
it's hard to say what you will pay..I'm in Texas where basement
treatments are few and far between. But would guess $800-$1200 is in the
range of the average company. The National companies may be as high as
$2000, Bubba Joe driving up in his beat up old pickup may be as low as
$500. Check with friends and family on who they have used and feel
comfortable with. Termidor for the most part can be idiot proof so
finding someone to just put it out can be done with a cheap cost to it
at times, but you may be losing protection of other issues such as if
somehting happens like the exterminator busting a water line or a window
and then just disappears on you. Make sure who ever you use has the
proper insurance/licensing. Termites do not eat you out of the house in
any short time so if anyone starts pressuring you that you need to sign
up now, show him the door. Note that many times , especially with the
larger companies, the inspector is a salesman. His pay is based on
commission. Some companies will use it at a rate of .06% other will make
a show on using it at .125% making you think they are giving you twice
the chemical as the next guy, but in reality they will be applying it at
half the volume of .06%. .06% is applied at 4 gallons per 10 linear
feet.. .125% is applied at 2 gallons per 10 linear feet, at the end of
the day the same amount of active ingredient has been applied, the only
real difference is the guy putting it out at 2 gallons gets to go home
earlier. Termidor can also now be applied only around the perimeter and
in key areas and areas of activity and still protect the whole house,
called Perimeter Plus treatment. If you get two $1200 bids make sure
they are equal, if one is doing the Perimeter Plus way and the other is
doing the old way, go with the option 2, more product being put down
than the other guy. If the PP treatment is considerably cheaper then you
have a decision to make. For the most part I do the Perimeter Plus
treatment and it reduces the cost to my customer and have still had no
call back issues, but as stated earlier we do not have many basements
here and they can need more attention given to them.

Lar

--
to email get rid of the BUGS
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 10, 9:51 am, Lar wrote:
Paul Flansburg wrote:

[...]

Thanks Lar,

First guy arrives tonight. More to follow after him. Good info., but
may ask a few more questions as the process continues.

-paul

Posted to alt.home.repair
Lar Lar is offline

Paul Flansburg wrote:

than the other guy. If the PP treatment is considerably cheaper then you
have a decision to make. For the most part I do the Perimeter Plus
treatment and it reduces the cost to my customer and have still had no
call back issues, but as stated earlier we do not have many basements
here and they can need more attention given to them.

Lar

--
to email get rid of the BUGS

Thanks Lar,

First guy arrives tonight. More to follow after him. Good info., but
may ask a few more questions as the process continues.

-paul

No problem with the questions...also I have a few contacts in Mass if
you are in need of any more bids, or if you may want to ask questions of
a more local guy who would be more familiar with the way things are done
in your neck of the woods.

Lar
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9 Apr 2007 13:20:52 -0700, "Paul Flansburg"
wrote:

Well, found some swamers in the basement over the weekend. Did
endless searches in google groups but most information came up old, by
about 2 - 4 yrs old. Noticed that many people offered many solutions,
but still have questions. Since I was able to SEE the little buggers
and know that they are subterranean termite's and they are active my
coarse of action I think will be this.

1) Have a licensed pest control guy apply Termidor.
2) Buy the Advance Termite Bait kit and apply traps around house. I
plan to monitor and bait the traps myself.

Has anyone tried either of the above recently? Like I said, I found
information that appeared to be over 2 - 4 yrs old and would like some
input more recent.

TIA,
-paul

Me, I would do #1 and then follow the steps layed out by a
professional. Just my option.

tom @ www.BlankHelp.com
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 10, 3:12 pm, Lar wrote:
Paul Flansburg wrote:
[...]

Lar- Hide quoted text -

Sure thanks. Where in Mass are your contacts? The guy that came last
night went through everything in about 45mins. I think he rushed, but
never the less answered my questions. References are always welcome.
I have another guy coming tonight and one Monday of next week. How do
you want to give me your contacts?

-paul

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

tom @www.BlankHelp.com- Hide quoted text -

My plan also.....

-paul

Posted to alt.home.repair
Lar Lar is offline

Paul Flansburg wrote:
Lar- Hide quoted text -

Sure thanks. Where in Mass are your contacts? The guy that came last
night went through everything in about 45mins. I think he rushed, but
never the less answered my questions. References are always welcome.
I have another guy coming tonight and one Monday of next week. How do
you want to give me your contacts?

-paul

Framingham, Dalton, Melrose/Lawrence/Boston,

I don't know them personally, but I trust the guy who composed the group
of exterminators they are listed with as "good guys" to deal with.
If you will send me an email at with
Termites-newsgroups in subject line it should catch my eye and just let
me know if any of those areas are near you, or if you want any names
just to have a local guy to help you out.

Lar