Posted to rec.woodworking

Default New This Old House season

Looks like they're going old school. Modest house, modest budget.
Homeowners may actually lift a finger.

-Leuf
Posted to rec.woodworking

Looks like they're going old school. Modest house, modest budget.
Homeowners may actually lift a finger.

I agree, but it still makes me laugh to think that a quarter million dollars
is considered a "modest" budget, although it certainly is by This Old House
standards.

One thing I appreciated about this particular show was that rather than
waste the entire half hour touring the local attractions and pretending that
they hadn't already determined which house they were going to work on, they
cut to the chase after only about 5 minutes of sightseeing.

One thing that surprises me a little is that they started working on this
house in April and, if you take a look at the webcam, it appears they
haven't made a tremendous amount of progress in over 6 months.
http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/tvpr...16756,,00.html

Lee

_________________________________
Lee Gordon
http://www.leegordonproductions.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 7 Oct 2006 17:37:09 -0400, "Lee Gordon"
wrote:

Looks like they're going old school. Modest house, modest budget.
Homeowners may actually lift a finger.

I agree, but it still makes me laugh to think that a quarter million dollars
is considered a "modest" budget, although it certainly is by This Old House
standards.

Ha! Missed the actual number. I guess "reasonable" would be a better
word, but it is two units, and really could be three.

One thing I appreciated about this particular show was that rather than
waste the entire half hour touring the local attractions and pretending that
they hadn't already determined which house they were going to work on, they
cut to the chase after only about 5 minutes of sightseeing.

Yeah and then I saw the promo for next week and it was more mansion
visiting.

One thing that surprises me a little is that they started working on this
house in April and, if you take a look at the webcam, it appears they
haven't made a tremendous amount of progress in over 6 months.
http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/tvpr...16756,,00.html

I took a quick look at the archive, especially the kitchen camera.
Looks like they actually started work at the beginning of May, and it
took them all month to demo the kitchen. Permitting issues maybe?
the archive ended in July so can't tell very much else.

-Leuf
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 07 Oct 2006 16:36:28 -0400, Leuf
wrote:

Looks like they're going old school. Modest house, modest budget.
Homeowners may actually lift a finger.

I can't believe how close they are to Logan. Makes those whiners in
Bensenville (Chicago 'burb southwest of ORD) look like they're out in
the country.

The house is less than ½ mile from Runway 4L/22R.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

care to correspond with you anyway.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Lee Lee is offline

Never had sympathy for airport homes. Like buying a home next to dairy farm.
Did it pop up suddenly....the smell and noise???
I live way in country. No planes , no farms, no gangbangers, just skeeters
and ticks. My choice
"B A R R Y" wrote in message
On Sat, 07 Oct 2006 23:29:35 +0100, LRod
wrote:

I can't believe how close they are to Logan. Makes those whiners in
Bensenville (Chicago 'burb southwest of ORD) look like they're out in
the country.

You should see some of the skinny noise abatement corridors over
Boston. They're literally trying to pick the neighborhoods you fly
over.

Then again, when the wind is right at my home field
http://www.airnav.com/airport/KIJD, I'm flying over brand-new
$400-500,000+ homes at 150-200 feet! I can actually see the faces
of the owners of the new homes as they stand in the driveway looking
up at me on departure.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Never had sympathy for airport homes. Like buying a home next to dairy
farm.
Did it pop up suddenly....the smell and noise???

Normally I agree with that sentiment. In the case of the This Old House
project house it was built in 1919, long before there was an airport nearby
and the home has been in the same family since it was new. Of course, if
the family objected to the noise they could have moved away long ago. And,
in fact, during the show one of the homeowners said they were pretty much
immune to it.

Lee

_________________________________
Lee Gordon
http://www.leegordonproductions.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lee" wrote in message
t...
Never had sympathy for airport homes. Like buying a home next to dairy
farm. Did it pop up suddenly....the smell and noise???
I live way in country. No planes , no farms, no gangbangers, just skeeters
and ticks. My choice

Have you ever considered that the air port may have come after the houses?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 8 Oct 2006 16:42:19 -0400, "Lee Gordon"
wrote:

Never had sympathy for airport homes. Like buying a home next to dairy
farm.
Did it pop up suddenly....the smell and noise???

Normally I agree with that sentiment. In the case of the This Old House
project house it was built in 1919, long before there was an airport nearby
and the home has been in the same family since it was new. Of course, if
the family objected to the noise they could have moved away long ago. And,
in fact, during the show one of the homeowners said they were pretty much
immune to it.

During the opening familiarization tour they sort of danced around the
"why" while talking about how affordable the housing was in the area
compared to downtown Boston and other suburbs. The "why" was clearly
noise. It's a market factor in the price. Those who need housing and
can't afford Cambridge or Charlestown will consciously tolerate the
noise at the reduced price to be able to live near the city.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

care to correspond with you anyway.
Posted to rec.woodworking

B A R R Y wrote:
On Sun, 08 Oct 2006 22:39:14 GMT, "Leon"
wrote:

Have you ever considered that the air port may have come after the houses?

Some do.

However, I've seen folks in _new_ houses complain about dairy and
chicken farm smell (seriously! G), airport noise, dump stank, race
track noise, mall traffic, etc... just like Lee wrote.

Wiley Post airport (in Oklahoma City) was built out in the sticks to
avoid creating problems for residents. People built houses near it
because the land was cheap then complained because of the noise. IIRC,
shortly before I learned to fly there in the early 70's, local residents
tried to get the airport closed because it hurt their property values.
They did get the patterns on 17L and 17R changed to right hand patterns.

Jess.S
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Have you ever considered that the air port may have come after the
houses?

Some do.

However, I've seen folks in _new_ houses complain about dairy and
chicken farm smell (seriously! G), airport noise, dump stank, race
track noise, mall traffic, etc... just like Lee wrote.

Wiley Post airport (in Oklahoma City) was built out in the sticks to avoid
creating problems for residents. People built houses near it because the
land was cheap then complained because of the noise. IIRC, shortly before
I learned to fly there in the early 70's, local residents tried to get the
airport closed because it hurt their property values. They did get the
patterns on 17L and 17R changed to right hand patterns.

Jess.S

My home airport (Cartersville, GA) was built out in the "sticks" too, but
civilization keeps growing. Now, one developer is in the process of building
4,000 houses just SE of the field, and another wants to put 800 more right
off the end of one of the runways...

Somehow I doubt that the realtors who sell the houses are pointing out that
the homes will all be within 3/4 mile of a fairly active airport. Which
means that we'll start getting complaints from Homeowner's Associations and
busybody homeowners pretty soon...

KB

Posted to rec.woodworking

B A R R Y wrote:

However, I've seen folks in _new_ houses complain about dairy and
chicken farm smell (seriously! G), airport noise, dump stank, race
track noise, mall traffic, etc... just like Lee wrote.

When we built our new home in the country, with cows, grapes (wine
country Nor. Cal),
apples, etc, we had to sign a statement that we were going to live in
rural area
and that our neighbors had the right to farm and we would be subject
to:
smells, user of fertilizer, pesticide, noise, etc. We couldn't get our
building permit
unless we did. Guess the Board of Sups, got tired of people
complaining.

MJ Wallace

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
smells, user of fertilizer, pesticide, noise, etc. We couldn't get our
building permit unless we did. Guess the Board of Sups, got tired of

people
complaining.

At the time, did the existence of these things account for any type of lower
price on the property you were purchasing?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Upscale wrote:
wrote in message
smells, user of fertilizer, pesticide, noise, etc. We couldn't get our
building permit unless we did. Guess the Board of Sups, got tired of

people
complaining.

At the time, did the existence of these things account for any type of lower
price on the property you were purchasing?

No. Our lot is 2.2 acres with a view of vineyards. The close neighbors,
those
with adjoining lot lines, are all non-arigicultural. The paper we
signed had
to do with the surrounding area. During 2x a year, farmers spread
manure
in the fields. While we can't smell a thing from the house, you can go
up
and down the main road and get a good wiff.

Also our lot came with a septic field and well already done. Made that
much more valuable because we kept running into lots/houses with
either low volume wells or non-standard septics.

We had therefore no problems getting a permit to build because of
the septic and well being done and permitted.

MJ