Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Drill sunglasses?

What would be a safe way to drill a hole in the lens of sunglasses without
shattering the lens?
The hole can be 1/4 or 1/2 inch in diameter.
Maybe a hot iron?
Maybe water cooled drill?
Maybe a drop of acid?

Bill W.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'd go with a low speed, lower pressure, diamond tipped drill.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bill" wrote in message
What would be a safe way to drill a hole in the lens of sunglasses without
shattering the lens?
The hole can be 1/4 or 1/2 inch in diameter.
Maybe a hot iron?
Maybe water cooled drill?
Maybe a drop of acid?

Bill W.

plastic or glass lenses? if glass, tempered?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Glass or plastic? If plastic, there is no problem. You can use a regular
twist drill. Start with a small drill about 1/8 and work up.

Glass is going to be a problem as glass lenses are tempered. If you require
a glass lens then you are probably going to have to get a lens blank from an
optician and drill it while the glass is soft.

Now why in the heck are you drilling a hole in a lens?

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

"Bill" wrote in message
What would be a safe way to drill a hole in the lens of sunglasses without
shattering the lens?
The hole can be 1/4 or 1/2 inch in diameter.
Maybe a hot iron?
Maybe water cooled drill?
Maybe a drop of acid?

Bill W.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 9, 4:13 pm, "Bill" wrote:
What would be a safe way to drill a hole in the lens of sunglasses without
shattering the lens?
The hole can be 1/4 or 1/2 inch in diameter.
Maybe a hot iron?
Maybe water cooled drill?
Maybe a drop of acid?

Bill W.

Assuming plastic lenses:
http://www.plasticsmag.com/features....sue=Sep/Oct-01

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sorry, I forgot to say plastic.
If successful I'll reveal the objective later.
Thanks to all for help.
Bill

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Roger Shoaf" wrote in message
Glass or plastic? If plastic, there is no problem. You can use a regular
twist drill. Start with a small drill about 1/8 and work up.

Glass is going to be a problem as glass lenses are tempered. If you
require
a glass lens then you are probably going to have to get a lens blank from
an
optician and drill it while the glass is soft.

Now why in the heck are you drilling a hole in a lens?
Roger Shoaf

We were taught to drill plexiglass with a regular drill and lots of **liquid
soap**

But a lens is awful small to hold for a 1/2" drill.

"Bill" wrote in message
What would be a safe way to drill a hole in the lens of sunglasses
without
shattering the lens?
The hole can be 1/4 or 1/2 inch in diameter.
Maybe a hot iron?
Maybe water cooled drill?
Maybe a drop of acid?

Bill W.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"longshot" wrote in message
I'd go with a low speed, lower pressure, diamond tipped drill.

Take them to the optometrist?

Posted to alt.home.repair

That was a right on target response, Frank.
Thank you and I'll report results later.
Bill

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bill" wrote in message
That was a right on target response, Frank.
Thank you and I'll report results later.
Bill

It looked good. I know with acrylics (I do part time consulting with Lucite
International) that there is some detailed literature on the internet:
http://www.lucitecp.com/literature.asp
I believe most lenses are polycarbonate but machining plastics is fairly
general.
Frank

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Bill, okayokayokay wrote:
Bill what was the objective? still wondering to this day.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...es-208565-.htm