DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Drill sunglasses? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/197490-drill-sunglasses.html)

Bill April 9th 07 09:13 PM

Drill sunglasses?

What would be a safe way to drill a hole in the lens of sunglasses without
shattering the lens?
The hole can be 1/4 or 1/2 inch in diameter.
Maybe a hot iron?
Maybe water cooled drill?
Maybe a drop of acid?

Bill W.

longshot April 9th 07 09:16 PM

Drill sunglasses?

I'd go with a low speed, lower pressure, diamond tipped drill.

charlie April 9th 07 09:39 PM

Drill sunglasses?

"Bill" wrote in message
What would be a safe way to drill a hole in the lens of sunglasses without
shattering the lens?
The hole can be 1/4 or 1/2 inch in diameter.
Maybe a hot iron?
Maybe water cooled drill?
Maybe a drop of acid?

Bill W.

plastic or glass lenses? if glass, tempered?

Roger Shoaf April 9th 07 10:20 PM

Drill sunglasses?

Glass or plastic? If plastic, there is no problem. You can use a regular
twist drill. Start with a small drill about 1/8 and work up.

Glass is going to be a problem as glass lenses are tempered. If you require
a glass lens then you are probably going to have to get a lens blank from an
optician and drill it while the glass is soft.

Now why in the heck are you drilling a hole in a lens?

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

Frank April 9th 07 11:46 PM

Drill sunglasses?

On Apr 9, 4:13 pm, "Bill" wrote:
What would be a safe way to drill a hole in the lens of sunglasses without
shattering the lens?
The hole can be 1/4 or 1/2 inch in diameter.
Maybe a hot iron?
Maybe water cooled drill?
Maybe a drop of acid?

Bill W.

Assuming plastic lenses:
http://www.plasticsmag.com/features....sue=Sep/Oct-01

Bill April 9th 07 11:48 PM

Drill sunglasses?

Sorry, I forgot to say plastic.
If successful I'll reveal the objective later.
Thanks to all for help.
Bill

Srgnt Billko April 9th 07 11:56 PM

Drill sunglasses?

"Roger Shoaf" wrote in message
Glass or plastic? If plastic, there is no problem. You can use a regular
twist drill. Start with a small drill about 1/8 and work up.

Glass is going to be a problem as glass lenses are tempered. If you
require
a glass lens then you are probably going to have to get a lens blank from
an
optician and drill it while the glass is soft.

Now why in the heck are you drilling a hole in a lens?
Roger Shoaf

We were taught to drill plexiglass with a regular drill and lots of **liquid
soap**

But a lens is awful small to hold for a 1/2" drill.

jackson April 10th 07 04:02 AM

Drill sunglasses?

"longshot" wrote in message
I'd go with a low speed, lower pressure, diamond tipped drill.

Take them to the optometrist?

Bill April 11th 07 04:30 PM

Drill sunglasses?

That was a right on target response, Frank.
Thank you and I'll report results later.
Bill

frank.logullo April 11th 07 06:09 PM

Drill sunglasses?

"Bill" wrote in message
That was a right on target response, Frank.
Thank you and I'll report results later.
Bill

It looked good. I know with acrylics (I do part time consulting with Lucite
International) that there is some detailed literature on the internet:
http://www.lucitecp.com/literature.asp
I believe most lenses are polycarbonate but machining plastics is fairly
general.
Frank

okayokayokay April 16th 20 11:14 PM

Drill sunglasses?

replying to Bill, okayokayokay wrote:
Bill what was the objective? still wondering to this day.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...es-208565-.htm