Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Remove caulk around tile floor in bathroom

I have caulk around the tile floor I installed in a bathroom. I don't
remember what kind. Probably about 5 years old and hard to the
touch. I have tried a razor knife, dremel tool, some kind of "caulk
remover solvent", nothing will touch this stuff. Any magic out there?

-Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9 Apr 2007 08:16:27 -0700, "jtpr" wrote:

I have caulk around the tile floor I installed in a bathroom. I don't
remember what kind. Probably about 5 years old and hard to the
touch. I have tried a razor knife, dremel tool, some kind of "caulk
remover solvent", nothing will touch this stuff. Any magic out there?

-Jim

Wow, I thought 5in1 tool, but you said razor knife. I thought caulk
softener, but you said 'caulk remover solvent'. I thought power
tools, but you said dremmel. I wish you knew what caulk this is,
since I'm interested in using it.

Have you tried heating it up, safely! Then using a 5-in-1 tool/puddy
knife to try and unseat it. Maybe if you unseat enough of it you can
pull it out like rope. Just a guess. Not there.

tom @ www.YourMoneySavingTips.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 9, 12:13 pm, Just Joshin wrote:
On 9 Apr 2007 08:16:27 -0700, "jtpr" wrote:

I have caulk around the tile floor I installed in a bathroom. I don't
remember what kind. Probably about 5 years old and hard to the
touch. I have tried a razor knife, dremel tool, some kind of "caulk
remover solvent", nothing will touch this stuff. Any magic out there?

-Jim

Wow, I thought 5in1 tool, but you said razor knife. I thought caulk
softener, but you said 'caulk remover solvent'. I thought power
tools, but you said dremmel. I wish you knew what caulk this is,
since I'm interested in using it.

Have you tried heating it up, safely! Then using a 5-in-1 tool/puddy
knife to try and unseat it. Maybe if you unseat enough of it you can
pull it out like rope. Just a guess. Not there.

tom @www.YourMoneySavingTips.com

No, I didn't try heat. I don't follow your first paragraph, but I
have gotten under part of it with a putty knife, but it just comes up
in a hard chunk the size of the knife, and that too awhile to do. I
suppose I can try a hair dryer safely, but I'd be surprised if it
works.

Thank you for the suggestion though.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"jtpr" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have caulk around the tile floor I installed in a bathroom. I don't
remember what kind. Probably about 5 years old and hard to the
touch. I have tried a razor knife, dremel tool, some kind of "caulk
remover solvent", nothing will touch this stuff. Any magic out there?

There is a cheap little tool for removing grout. I have one and find that
it also removes caulk. It has a carbide or diamond studded blade, which is
about 2 inches long.

It will scratch, so if you try one go easy.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9 Apr 2007 12:45:54 -0700, "jtpr" wrote:

[...]

Sorry, I was reviewing that everything that comes to mind you tried.
The idea of heat, is a guess, and I saw it on tv for removing adhesive
backed tiles. Thought it could lossen up the grab of the caulk.

tom