Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Samsonite suitcase: *forced* (when closing it) those lock/levers; how to fix?

I just went on a trip, and when I got there I couldn't
pull out (swing out?) those two latch-things (that also
have the key-hole on them).

And no, they weren't key-locked.

We *finally* got it open (two of us!) by looking
at my other (identical) suitcase, peering in,
and soon understood how the latching-mechanism
worked (by sliding a hook (that grabbed the suitcase
top-half): "locking" it (not really locking with key, but
don't know a better word at 5am up-all-night) when
shifting if one way, and un-hooking the other way.

(The pushing in and swinging out of those latches
translates into the horizontal motion of the hooks.)

ANYway..., we finally got it open, by using all
our strength by pushing the suitcase top-half
one way (left or right, I forget), and the
bottom half the other way, attempting to
"slide the unfortunately-immovable hook" -- the HARD way!

---

Coming back home, I bought three ropes (synthetic
something) and tightly wrapped each around the
suitcase, many knots, etc -- and it arrived ok.

----

OK -- you understand the situation.

Question: can *I* fix it?

(probably cheaper to just buy a new one than
pay who knows how much to get someone to fix it.)

THANKS!

David

Posted to alt.home.repair

David,

Kind of a long rant but I think you indicate that one of the latches has
broken. Samsonite lists repair facilities on their web-site. Many luggage
shops also will repair these as will some shoe repair shops. I don't know
where you can buy just one latch for DIY but call around.

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sounds to me like you had the suitcase upside down. Samsonite uses a
gravity catch to prevent opening the case upside down. If you would have
flipped the case to the other side it would have opened.

Call around to luggage stores they can either repair it for you or advise
you where to go. If you have no luck check out the used suitcases at thrift
stores and see if you can either find another case that matches or one that
has the same locks you can swap into your case.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

"David Combs" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Roger Shoaf wrote:
Sounds to me like you had the suitcase upside down. Samsonite uses a
gravity catch to prevent opening the case upside down. If you would have
flipped the case to the other side it would have opened.

Call around to luggage stores they can either repair it for you or advise
you where to go. If you have no luck check out the used suitcases at thrift
stores and see if you can either find another case that matches or one that
has the same locks you can swap into your case.

--

Roger Shoaf

Thanks much to you two who responded.

Good advice -- I'll give it a try!

David

How can I silence my Samsonite travel alarm clock? [email protected] Electronics Repair 10 January 7th 07 10:52 PM
handwheels vs levers No Woodworking 7 October 14th 05 09:10 PM
What brand of breakers have red and blue levers RBM Home Repair 4 September 25th 05 02:08 PM
Key broken off in Yale patio door lock... How to fix? [email protected] Home Repair 16 May 6th 05 05:06 PM
Of gas springs, vector diagrams and levers Glenn Ashmore Metalworking 5 January 20th 05 05:28 PM