Posted to alt.home.repair
David Combs David Combs is offline

Default Samsonite suitcase: *forced* (when closing it) those lock/levers; how to fix?

I just went on a trip, and when I got there I couldn't
pull out (swing out?) those two latch-things (that also
have the key-hole on them).

And no, they weren't key-locked.

We *finally* got it open (two of us!) by looking
at my other (identical) suitcase, peering in,
and soon understood how the latching-mechanism
worked (by sliding a hook (that grabbed the suitcase
top-half): "locking" it (not really locking with key, but
don't know a better word at 5am up-all-night) when
shifting if one way, and un-hooking the other way.

(The pushing in and swinging out of those latches
translates into the horizontal motion of the hooks.)

ANYway..., we finally got it open, by using all
our strength by pushing the suitcase top-half
one way (left or right, I forget), and the
bottom half the other way, attempting to
"slide the unfortunately-immovable hook" -- the HARD way!

---

Coming back home, I bought three ropes (synthetic
something) and tightly wrapped each around the
suitcase, many knots, etc -- and it arrived ok.

----

OK -- you understand the situation.

Question: can *I* fix it?

(probably cheaper to just buy a new one than
pay who knows how much to get someone to fix it.)

THANKS!

David