Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default Painting iron radiator in place

I wonder if anyone has ideas for painting cast radiators while they
are inline. I'm on a deadline and cant afford the time to take them
out and sandblast them etc. How can I paint the inner parts, are
there flexible spray attachments or something that will work? I only
have 4 inches between it and the wall so I known it wont be easy, if
possible at all.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 8 Apr 2007 18:57:45 -0700, "Joe" wrote:

I wonder if anyone has ideas for painting cast radiators while they
are inline. I'm on a deadline and cant afford the time to take them
out and sandblast them etc. How can I paint the inner parts, are
there flexible spray attachments or something that will work? I only
have 4 inches between it and the wall so I known it wont be easy, if
possible at all.

People paint radiators in place all the time**. Why not go to a paint
store and see what kinds of brushes they sell?

And the important thing is to decide on the color. IIUC, white and
light colors make them less effective, but I've been wrong before.
And although I asked once, I never understood the difference between
metallic colors and black. Afaik, they should never be painted at
all, because the paint stops the heat radiation and requires more
conduction first.

Or just dust them and buy radiator covers. They have a nice flat top
good for lots of things.

**We have to find those radiators and stop them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 8, 8:57 pm, "Joe" wrote:
I wonder if anyone has ideas for painting cast radiators while they
are inline. I'm on a deadline and cant afford the time to take them
out and sandblast them etc. How can I paint the inner parts, are
there flexible spray attachments or something that will work? I only
have 4 inches between it and the wall so I known it wont be easy, if
possible at all.

They are a bear to paint with a brush. The easiest way is either a
rattle can or a Power Painter or similar device. You can simply put a
piece of cardboard behind and under them to keep the overspray from
messing up the area around it.

JK

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 8, 6:57 pm, "Joe" wrote:
I wonder if anyone has ideas for painting cast radiators while they
are inline. I'm on a deadline and cant afford the time to take them
out and sandblast them etc. How can I paint the inner parts, are
there flexible spray attachments or something that will work? I only
have 4 inches between it and the wall so I known it wont be easy, if
possible at all.

How about using an air brush from Harbor Freight ($10)? I have used
these before to paint inside the rear louvers on my Volkswagen. They
are small enough to get into the space you are talking about. My
guess is that they will probably work the best with oil based paint.
- Robert