Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Trying to paint roof vent turbine with Rustoleum.

I just bought a new turbine (just the top, not the base) to replace an
ailing one.

It came with the galvanized finish, which was fine with me, as they
didn't have a black one and I also bought a can of flat black
Rustoleum, so I could make it match the others on the roof.

However, as I looked through the directions on the Rustoleum can, I
saw that it said to DON'T use on a galvanized surface.

I know I have painted EMT with this type of paint in the past and not
had any trouble with it.

SO, my question is, do you know why they would have this warning?

Is it because Rustoleum doesn't adhere well to a galvanized surface,
or is it because it would create a toxic gas, or what?

Lewis.

*****

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
It came with the galvanized finish, which was fine with me, as they
didn't have a black one and I also bought a can of flat black
Rustoleum, so I could make it match the others on the roof.

However, as I looked through the directions on the Rustoleum can, I
saw that it said to DON'T use on a galvanized surface.

Paint does not stick well to galvanized surfaces. There are primers made
just for galvanized (zinc chromate?)steel though. Another alleged trick is
to wipe it down with vinegar, but I've never tried it. You can also let it
age for about 6 months.
http://www.benjaminmoore.ca/howto/pr...ta l_adhesion

http://www.ppg.com/ppgaf/special6.htm
Painting New Galvanized Surfaces

Sometimes customers want to paint the galvanized steel surface. The first
question to ask is if the galvanized is new. If it is, the surface needs to
be checked for passivators or stabilizers. Many galvanized metal
manufacturers, knowing that an item may be stocked or stored in humid
conditions, will apply an "after galvanizing" treatment or "passivator"
which will inhibit wet storage stains ("white rust"). Most sheet metal or
coil stock, from which decking and curtain walls are fabricated, receive
this treatment. The passivator treatment is clear so it's not readily
detectable, but the Steel Structures Painting Council and the American
Hot-Dipped Galvanizers Association both state that this pre-treatment
prohibits adhesion from taking place. It must be removed before painting

Posted to alt.home.repair

age for about 6 months.http://www.benjaminmoore.ca/howto/pr...?problem=poor_...

http://www.ppg.com/ppgaf/special6.htm
Painting New Galvanized Surfaces

Sometimes customers want to paint the galvanized steel surface. The first
question to ask is if the galvanized is new. If it is, the surface needs to
be checked for passivators or stabilizers. Many galvanized metal
manufacturers, knowing that an item may be stocked or stored in humid
conditions, will apply an "after galvanizing" treatment or "passivator"
which will inhibit wet storage stains ("white rust"). Most sheet metal or
coil stock, from which decking and curtain walls are fabricated, receive
this treatment. The passivator treatment is clear so it's not readily
detectable, but the Steel Structures Painting Council and the American
Hot-Dipped Galvanizers Association both state that this pre-treatment
prohibits adhesion from taking place. It must be removed before painting

Thanks, this is very helpful.

Kind regards.

Lewis.

*****

Posted to alt.home.repair

Can anyone here confirm that this only occurs if you use oil based
paints? Meaning that latex will stick to galvanized fi you just clean
it.

Having said that, I thought that cleaning and sanding (more like
scuffing) is what one needed to do to get (oil based) primer to stick
to new galvanized steel.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
Can anyone here confirm that this only occurs if you use oil based
paints? Meaning that latex will stick to galvanized fi you just clean
it.

Having said that, I thought that cleaning and sanding (more like
scuffing) is what one needed to do to get (oil based) primer to stick
to new galvanized steel.

I posted two links with information from paint manufacturers. You can
either trust them, or someone's opinion on a newsgroup. Get back to us next
year with an update of how well it is working.

Roof vent Walter Cohen Home Repair 36 May 20th 06 10:08 PM
Roof vent Walter Cohen Home Ownership 30 May 20th 06 10:08 PM
roof vent, ridge vent or what? [email protected] Home Repair 11 May 19th 06 05:06 AM
Replacing Turbine Vent Bill Gill Home Repair 0 June 28th 05 01:55 PM
Roof Turbine Question Ron Home Repair 4 June 10th 05 08:04 PM