Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] limeylew@gmail.com is offline

Default Trying to paint roof vent turbine with Rustoleum.

On Apr 8, 1:37 pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
wrote in message
It came with the galvanized finish, which was fine with me, as they
didn't have a black one and I also bought a can of flat black
Rustoleum, so I could make it match the others on the roof.

However, as I looked through the directions on the Rustoleum can, I
saw that it said to DON'T use on a galvanized surface.

Paint does not stick well to galvanized surfaces. There are primers made
just for galvanized (zinc chromate?)steel though. Another alleged trick is
to wipe it down with vinegar, but I've never tried it. You can also let it
age for about 6 months.http://www.benjaminmoore.ca/howto/pr...?problem=poor_...

http://www.ppg.com/ppgaf/special6.htm
Painting New Galvanized Surfaces

Sometimes customers want to paint the galvanized steel surface. The first
question to ask is if the galvanized is new. If it is, the surface needs to
be checked for passivators or stabilizers. Many galvanized metal
manufacturers, knowing that an item may be stocked or stored in humid
conditions, will apply an "after galvanizing" treatment or "passivator"
which will inhibit wet storage stains ("white rust"). Most sheet metal or
coil stock, from which decking and curtain walls are fabricated, receive
this treatment. The passivator treatment is clear so it's not readily
detectable, but the Steel Structures Painting Council and the American
Hot-Dipped Galvanizers Association both state that this pre-treatment
prohibits adhesion from taking place. It must be removed before painting

Thanks, this is very helpful.

Kind regards.

Lewis.

*****