Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Our small comunity is moving a historic house

I thought I would share the story of our small Ohio community. We
raised $68,000 in a very short time to move an historic old house. You
can learn more about the project and see photos of the house he
http://www.captainscotthouse.org

---

Built circa 1870 for Captain Joseph M Scott, this house is in the path
of Ohio Department of Transportation's (ODOT's) widening of State
Route 161 in Licking County. It MUST be moved IMMEDIATELY or be
demolished.

Scott was a farmer and businessman prominent in the county, and though
he never served political office outside the county, he was a regional
force for abolition as early as 1849 and his family was heavily
involved in the Underground Railroad.

This Victorian era home was built in the Italianate style. Italianate
homes, libraries and town halls were built throughout the United
States 1840-1885, and were most popular in the late 1860s. The
characteristics of this house that are most typical of the Italianate
style are the low-pitched roof, tall appearance (tall ceilings),
symmetrical layout, wide overhanging eaves with brackets, tall narrow
windows, side bays, and heavily molded double doors.

The Captain Scott house is unusual in that it includes two 2-storey
side bays and has an overall cruciform shape. The front double doors
have classic arch molding and open to a foyer with spiral staircase.
The back wing with the lower roofline contains the kitchen and
workspace downstairs, and includes a back staircase to servants'
quarters upstairs.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
I thought I would share the story of our small Ohio community. We
raised $68,000 in a very short time to move an historic old house. You
can learn more about the project and see photos of the house he
http://www.captainscotthouse.org

The house probably qualifies for the National Historic Registry. Once placed
on the registry, tell the state to move the road.

Years ago, our city told a granny they were going to cut down five oak trees
at the front of her property to widen the road, but were willing to
negotiate compensation.

"You are not going to cut down the trees," said granny.

"Oh yes we are. If you don't agree to compensation, we'll take you to court.
We've never lost such a case."

"Those trees were hand-planted by King Gustav V of Sweden to commenorate the
Swedish war dead in the Great War. They are listed in the national registry
of historic places. Plus, they're probably on foreign soil inasmuch as this
house used to be the Swedish Consulate in the '20s."

The city moved the road.

Posted to alt.home.repair

We didn't really have time to pursue NHR status, as we only had 6
months before the house would be destroyed. The house was privately
owned.

So we decide to move the house, and the house is currently up on
supports getting ready for the move.

On Apr 7, 7:27 am, "HeyBub" wrote:

The house probably qualifies for the National Historic Registry. Once placed
on the registry, tell the state to move the road.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...

We didn't really have time to pursue NHR status, as we only had 6
months before the house would be destroyed. The house was privately
owned.

So we decide to move the house, and the house is currently up on
supports getting ready for the move.

You should be able to move it cross-country for 68 grand.

On Apr 7, 7:27 am, "HeyBub" wrote:

The house probably qualifies for the National Historic Registry. Once
placed
on the registry, tell the state to move the road.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 07 Apr 2007 20:27:05 GMT, "Srgnt Billko"
wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...

We didn't really have time to pursue NHR status, as we only had 6
months before the house would be destroyed. The house was privately
owned.

So we decide to move the house, and the house is currently up on
supports getting ready for the move.

You should be able to move it cross-country for 68 grand.

Across the street is even cheaper, but I don't know for certain.

--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

House moving is rather expensive - our budget was 80K but that
included removing some utility lines, permits, new foundation &
basement, basic electrical service, etc. The moving piece was a little
over half. The house is very large and we are moving it about 2 miles,
through the fields, over a creek, up a hill, to the new location.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7 Apr 2007 15:54:34 -0700, "
wrote:

House moving is rather expensive - our budget was 80K but that
included removing some utility lines, permits, new foundation &
basement, basic electrical service, etc. The moving piece was a little
over half. The house is very large and we are moving it about 2 miles,
through the fields, over a creek, up a hill, to the new location.

I can appreciate your effort. Any chance of ODOT access
(interchange/exit) in close proximity of the property where the house
is moved? Tourist would want to visit and desire easy access. Maybe
the house moving company can make a pledge; further reducing cost and
expense for a two mile move. Ask, please.
--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article .com,
" wrote:
House moving is rather expensive - our budget was 80K but that
included removing some utility lines, permits, new foundation &
basement, basic electrical service, etc. The moving piece was a little
over half. The house is very large and we are moving it about 2 miles,
through the fields, over a creek, up a hill, to the new location.

Speaking of house moving, consider this pictu

http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&...8&ll=34.148048,
-118.136576&spn=0.003418,0.004222&t=h&om=1

(Here's a smaller URL: http://tinyurl.com/37su4c).

See the building with the reddish roof in the center, north of the
parking lot? That building was not originally there. It was moved in.

I was living in the apartment building next to it to the north at the
time, and have no idea how the hell they did that move. I saw them
build a foundation for it. They finished that one day, and when I went
to bed, that is all there was the a foundation with nothing on it. I
had no idea they were going to move something there--I thought they were
building a new building. I didn't see anyone taking down streetlights,
or clearing trees, or anything, around the roads leading to the site.

When I woke up the next morning, the building was sitting in the parking
let, next to the foundation, on 144 wheels. Over the next few days,
they moved it onto the foundation.

What puzzles me is that I can't see how the hell they got it in there.
It was in one piece, as far as I could see. It came from about 8 miles
away (from Temple City, which is to the southeast, if you zoom the map
out a bit). I don't see any route out of that area that is big enough
for that thing.

This is actually the second puzzling movement incident I've seen,
although the other was much smaller. At a place I worked, we had a
machine for printing blueprints. This thing was huge. It was about 10
feet wide, and something like 5 feet deep, and 4 feet tall. It was in
an interior room, with one door. There were two routes to that door.
One from the front door, which went past the secretary and the door to
the co-founder's office. The other went through a long hallway, around
a tight corner, and past a lab.

One day, at just before noon, someone used the blueprint machine, and
then went to lunch. When they got back, it was missing. The secretary
and co-founder had been in during that whole time (and the co-founder's
door was open, giving him a clear view). I was in my office on the long
hallway, with my door open, and I was facing the hall. Same for a
couple other programmers.

We later found out it was repo men. But how the hell did they take it
with no one noticing? It was huge and heavy, and would take at least
two, and probably three, men to slowly move.

--
--Tim Smith
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7 Apr 2007 05:43:34 -0700, "
wrote:

We didn't really have time to pursue NHR status, as we only had 6
months before the house would be destroyed. The house was privately
owned.

Not a good reason now, too not have a historical marker placed
adjacent to the exact property. Still pursue; some type of marker now,
for the future.

--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 07 Apr 2007 17:33:14 -0700, Tim Smith
wrote:

http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&q=&z=18&ll=34.148048,-118.136576&spn=0.003418,0.004222&t=h&om=1