Posted to alt.hvac,;,alt.home.repair

Default Natural Gas Furnace & Water Heater Upgrade.

Natural Gas Furnace & Water Heater Upgrade.

Good day all, I have to replace my gas furnace, because the one I have
is dying.

Current Equipment & detail:
125 000 BTU gas fired furnace (chimney type)
50 US Gallons 42 000 BTU gas fired water heater (chimney type)

My house is a bungalow (main floor=1000sq ft. + same size basement)

I live in Canada, Province of Québec - near Ottawa region.
The temperature from dec to april can shift between +10oC to -30oC
(50oF to -22oF)

I had several company come and do estimates:

After looking at different option I have chosen a high eff. dual stage
furnace with variable speed.
For all I could read on the subject, on the long run, it's the best
choice, confort and $ wise.

I had different "brand / type" of furnace offered :

York 92% Efficiency 2 stage 60 000BTU Affinity 9.V : PV9B12N060UP11

Carrier (up to 96.6% ???) Efficiency 2 stage 60 000BTU Infinity Series
: 58MVB
*(What is "up to 96% ? Is this a marketing catch?)

Goodman 95% Efficiency 2 stage 69 000BTU : GMV95

I don't know ANYTHING about which brand to get.

Everyone is selling "The Best" type of thing, so realy it's hard to do
a logical choice.
I would like to get a neutral opinion / experience with the brands
above.

I also have questions :

High efficiency furnace are direclty vented outside with an ABS type
pipes.
Can they "cap" the outside part with a "screen" or something similar
to dryer vent so birds/mices don't enter the pipes?

High efficiency furnace - 2 stages models, apparently required a "dual
stage enabled thermostat"
in order to get the full potentialof the furnace... Some sellers says
that you NEED IT, some other said you don't need it
since the 'controller' on the furnace take care of that.

Some other sellers said that you don't need it, but it would be even
more efficient to have one - confort wise and for gas consumption $.
Since the furnace not equipped with the 2 stages thermostat will run
for 8 minutes before going on the 2nd stage if required.

NOISE:
High efficiency Furnace and Water heater are equiped with a 'POWER
VENT' ; Are these noisy ?
Overall, the noise of my new high. eff. equipments equipped with
power-vents should be lower than the noise of my current furnace?

High efficiency water heater - is it worth it ?
Currenlty my old water heater is rented at a rate of 10.50 cdn$/month
The new High Efficiency water heater would cost 16.80 cdn$/month
My Gas consumption for the water heater is approx. 40 cubic meter per
month @ approx 0.60$/cubic meter = 24$

How much efficiency would I get from a high efficiency water heater?
Would it cover the rental $ difference between the 16.80$ ad 10.50
model = 6.30$ ?
(or will I save at least 10.5 cubic meter of gas per month or 25% ) ?

Could you point me in the right direction?
Thanks in advance,
Ben

High efficiency water heater - is it worth it ?
Currenlty my old water heater is rented at a rate of 10.50 cdn$/month
The new High Efficiency water heater would cost 16.80 cdn$/month
My Gas consumption for the water heater is approx. 40 cubic meter per
month @ approx 0.60$/cubic meter = 24$

How much efficiency would I get from a high efficiency water heater?
Would it cover the rental $ difference between the 16.80$ ad 10.50
model = 6.30$ ?
(or will I save at least 10.5 cubic meter of gas per month or 25% ) ?

Could you point me in the right direction?
Thanks in advance,
Ben

Some people consider goodman to be the "chevy" of hvac systems.
Finding a good installer that is familiar with what he is installing
and has a good track record will make a lot more difference in how
trouble free the system is down the road.

1. Yes they can put a guard on to keep birds out.
2. You are spending a lot of money to get a hi-eff system, get the
thermostat too.
3. Not noisy. It's a small fan.
4. I do not think you will have a 25% increase in efficiency. If you
are you are going to be there a while you'd probably save by buying a
hot water heater instead of renting one. If you figure a hot water
heater is good for 12 years you are paying $1,512 for it.