Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank Cusack

Default Which is more economical - electric or natural gas water heater?

On Mon, 5 Dec 2005 15:22:53 -0500 "Bob Pietrangelo" wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
I know they're expensive, but have you considered an "on-demand"
natural gas hot water system? The initial cost is high, but the
payback is supposed to be quite substantial since you're not heating
water for nothing while you're not using it.

On-demand water heaters do not produce enough water for multiple showers,
especially in the winter. They also are more prone to mineral build-up in
the coils. I do not recommend them for anything more than a small
apartment.

http://www.takagi.com/web2003/c07.htm

77 deg. F. rise, 3-5 gpm.

Of course you have to get the big one to run 2 showers ) but
it is possible. And the M-1 can be chained together up to 20-deep
for large flow capacity.

-frank
Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT

Frank Cusack wrote:

On Mon, 5 Dec 2005 15:22:53 -0500 "Bob Pietrangelo" wrote:

wrote in message
groups.com...

I know they're expensive, but have you considered an "on-demand"
natural gas hot water system? The initial cost is high, but the
payback is supposed to be quite substantial since you're not heating
water for nothing while you're not using it.

On-demand water heaters do not produce enough water for multiple showers,
especially in the winter. They also are more prone to mineral build-up in
the coils. I do not recommend them for anything more than a small
apartment.

http://www.takagi.com/web2003/c07.htm

77 deg. F. rise, 3-5 gpm.

Of course you have to get the big one to run 2 showers ) but
it is possible. And the M-1 can be chained together up to 20-deep
for large flow capacity.

-frank

And 20 of them would cost ... ?

Posted to alt.home.repair
mulderig

We have one of the large NG Rinnai on demand water heaters.Our H2O
supply from the street comes in at 50-70F depending on the time of the
year. We have never had any low flow issues and it costs very little to
operate.

We did a couple of extra things to help minimize the amount of hot water
that we use, which we would have done anyway, regardless of our choice
to use a tankless hot water heater:

1. We installed a grey water heat recovery device, (basically a decent
percentage of the heat from the water going bathtub drain is transferred
to the cold water supply feeding the showe/bath)
http://gfxtechnology.com/ This was really simple and and not too
expensive to do. The devices are readily available.It seems only natural
after expending all that energy to heat the water, to want to hold onto
the heat for longer than 2 seconds (if taking a shower)

2. We replaced our antiquated washer with a horizontal axis machine that
only uses 15 gallons of water per wash as oppossed to 60. I hate to
state the obvious, but if you don't already have a low flow shower head,
now would be a great time to get one. Obviously, the less water you use,
the less water you have to heat, no matter what the heating costs are.

After all is said and done, it will take some time to recover the
expense of your upgrade no matter how you go. Beside the cost, I would
encourage you to consider just how much you can cut your carbon
emmisions if you go with a tankless unit (or even a storage unit on a
timer). It makes absolutely no sense to have water being kept at
120-140F whilst you are asleep, at work or on vacation. Best of luck,
Mary.

Water heater in series to use as storage tank ... good or bad? Fred Home Repair 12 January 29th 05 02:38 PM
Water heater leak? Jim Z Home Repair 1 July 18th 04 02:57 PM
Power cost of idle electric water heater Phil Sherrod Home Repair 57 April 2nd 04 11:51 PM
Power cost of idle electric water heater Phil Sherrod Home Ownership 50 April 2nd 04 05:55 PM
Thankless or Tankless hot water heaters [email protected] Home Repair 6 January 29th 04 04:01 AM