Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Bathroom Drywall

I'm repairing some drywall above a tile shower surround (old house,
I'm pretty sure that the base for the tile is lath and some sort of
mortar--it's thick and feels very solid) and the only thing "wrong" is
that the paper has delaminated from the gypsum board itself. It's
still solid, everything looks fine, except for the paper. Now the
questions:

1. Do I need to remove/replace, or can I just sand, skim-coat and
paint?

2. If I do skim coat, should I just use drywall mud, or is that not
waterproof enough? If not, what should I use? I had to buy perlited
plaster to fix some other cracks in the real plaster, so I have some.

I'm pretty okay with methods, I'm just not sure of the materials.
Thanks for the help.

-Phil Crow

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm repairing some drywall above a tile shower surround (old house,
I'm pretty sure that the base for the tile is lath and some sort of
mortar--it's thick and feels very solid) and the only thing "wrong" is
that the paper has delaminated from the gypsum board itself. It's
still solid, everything looks fine, except for the paper. Now the
questions:

1. Do I need to remove/replace, or can I just sand, skim-coat and
paint?

2. If I do skim coat, should I just use drywall mud, or is that not
waterproof enough? If not, what should I use? I had to buy perlited
plaster to fix some other cracks in the real plaster, so I have some.

I'm pretty okay with methods, I'm just not sure of the materials.
Thanks for the help.

-Phil Crow

Put a layer of 3/8th blue/green board over it and finish it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Humm add 3/8th drywall, make the are stable by rigging it up...

Or

Why not just remove the bad area, redrywall it with greanboard
and be done with it?

It all depends on if this is your house or someone elses.
Do you rent or own. Do you care?

If so the best way would be to rip out and patch it right.

Tom

P.S. I would recommend paint intended for wet areas or
a glossy paint.

On Apr 6, 9:51 am, wrote:
I'm repairing some drywall above a tile shower surround (old house,
I'm pretty sure that the base for the tile is lath and some sort of
mortar--it's thick and feels very solid) and the only thing "wrong" is
that the paper has delaminated from the gypsum board itself. It's
still solid, everything looks fine, except for the paper. Now the
questions:

1. Do I need to remove/replace, or can I just sand, skim-coat and
paint?

2. If I do skim coat, should I just use drywall mud, or is that not
waterproof enough? If not, what should I use? I had to buy perlited
plaster to fix some other cracks in the real plaster, so I have some.

I'm pretty okay with methods, I'm just not sure of the materials.
Thanks for the help.

-Phil Crow

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 6, 11:47 am, "Brian V" wrote:
wrote in message

ups.com...

I'm repairing some drywall above a tile shower surround (old house,
I'm pretty sure that the base for the tile is lath and some sort of
mortar--it's thick and feels very solid) and the only thing "wrong" is
that the paper has delaminated from the gypsum board itself. It's
still solid, everything looks fine, except for the paper. Now the
questions:

1. Do I need to remove/replace, or can I just sand, skim-coat and
paint?

2. If I do skim coat, should I just use drywall mud, or is that not
waterproof enough? If not, what should I use? I had to buy perlited
plaster to fix some other cracks in the real plaster, so I have some.

I'm pretty okay with methods, I'm just not sure of the materials.
Thanks for the help.

-Phil Crow

Put a layer of 3/8th blue/green board over it and finish it.- Hide quoted text -

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks, everyone, for the replies. Looks like some 3/8 greenboard and
call it a day.

'Preciate the help.

-Phil Crow

strip old paint from plastered drywall in 1963 bathroom BillP Home Repair 0 January 1st 07 10:07 PM
How to strip bathroom drywall and resurface? [email protected] Home Repair 0 May 20th 06 04:30 AM
Drywall Griffo UK diy 1 March 8th 06 06:28 AM
Replace bathroom drywall or repaint? Bryan Home Repair 2 October 22nd 05 01:38 PM
Drywall patching in the bathroom higgins Home Repair 2 August 22nd 05 01:50 AM