Posted to alt.home.repair
Lawrence Lawrence is offline

Default Bathroom Drywall

On Apr 6, 11:47 am, "Brian V" wrote:
wrote in message

ups.com...

I'm repairing some drywall above a tile shower surround (old house,
I'm pretty sure that the base for the tile is lath and some sort of
mortar--it's thick and feels very solid) and the only thing "wrong" is
that the paper has delaminated from the gypsum board itself. It's
still solid, everything looks fine, except for the paper. Now the
questions:

1. Do I need to remove/replace, or can I just sand, skim-coat and
paint?

2. If I do skim coat, should I just use drywall mud, or is that not
waterproof enough? If not, what should I use? I had to buy perlited
plaster to fix some other cracks in the real plaster, so I have some.

I'm pretty okay with methods, I'm just not sure of the materials.
Thanks for the help.

-Phil Crow

Put a layer of 3/8th blue/green board over it and finish it.- Hide quoted text -