Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sikkens Cetol vs. Spar Urthane

I am in the process of staining the interior wood on 32 Peachtree double
hung windows. It was suggested that I go over the stain with an exterior
clear finish to protect in the event that there could be some condensation
on the widows during the heating season.

One supplier recommends Sikkens Exterior Door and Window Cetol satin finish
(a product I never heard of) and another supplier recommends using Helmsman
Exterior Spar Urethane.

Does anyone have experience sufficient to say that one is superior to the
other?

Thanks.........Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

"wa3cuj" wrote in message
I am in the process of staining the interior wood on 32 Peachtree double
hung windows. It was suggested that I go over the stain with an exterior
clear finish to protect in the event that there could be some condensation
on the widows during the heating season.

One supplier recommends Sikkens Exterior Door and Window Cetol satin
finish (a product I never heard of) and another supplier recommends using
Helmsman Exterior Spar Urethane.

Does anyone have experience sufficient to say that one is superior to the
other?

I used Cetol on some outdoor furniture and I don't care for the color
change. It did not go on as smooth as regular spar urethane either. I'd
certainly try some on a scrap piece first to see if you like it. I'd not
use it again.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Charlie Morgan" wrote in message
There are many variants of Cetol, and not all of them are pigmented. The
nice
thing about Cetol is that it breathes. A problem with polyurethane
varnishes is
that they do NOT breathe, and so if any moisture manages to get under it,
it
lifts the varnish off. Cetol doesn't have that issue.

CWM

This one was not pigmented, but like all oils and coatings, it did make some
color change. My Helmsman polyurethane coated stuff is holding up much
better than the Cetol Marine recommended by the paint dealer. Maybe that
breathing is allowing the moisture in making it worse. Perhaps a different
variation would have fared better, but after one poor experience I'm not
going to try it again. It was also very expensive for poor performance. .

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to wa3cuj, Jon wrote:
Just read ur text. I've had great results from sikkens prolux... I believe
that is an exterior product. When dealing with moisture, temp changes ,UV, it
has excellent resistance to weatherimg and wear. I have found using stain or
any pigment on exterior wood covered with spar urethane either the moisture,
solvent entrapment, UV????? Seem to cause bridging and checking within several
years...? If you get a good substrate" freshly removed coatings, sanding ,
washing , remove any mill glaze causes by filling grain with old finish. 2~3
coats of sikkens is great! After sanding and removing all prev coatings then
scrub with water and TSP...then. lightly a and with 180 and apply 3 coats...

This will guarantee ggreat results... Not for I exterior apps!!!! Use poly or
varnish.😀

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ne-207575-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, July 11, 2018 at 6:44:06 PM UTC-5, Jon wrote:
[...]

You're too late. 10 years ago wa3cuj got together with some friends and went on an African safari. Unfortunately, the entire group was captured and eaten by cannibals. It was a great loss for wa3cuj's family and friends. His church has a barbeque in his honor every year on the anniversary of his consumption. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Sad Monster

Sikkens confusion... or oil for oak? Mike Abbott UK diy 18 June 20th 18 01:31 PM
spraying minwax spar urethane BIG AL 2 Woodworking 8 February 21st 07 10:34 PM
Anyone used Sikkens Cetol TS stains/varnish? Cordless Crazy UK diy 2 September 20th 06 06:03 PM
Paint over Sikkens F UK diy 5 August 14th 06 10:02 PM
Suggested Finish Over Sikkens Wood Trim Luigi Zanasi Woodworking 2 January 17th 05 04:54 AM