Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sikkens Cetol vs. Spar Urthane

"Charlie Morgan" wrote in message
There are many variants of Cetol, and not all of them are pigmented. The
nice
thing about Cetol is that it breathes. A problem with polyurethane
varnishes is
that they do NOT breathe, and so if any moisture manages to get under it,
it
lifts the varnish off. Cetol doesn't have that issue.

CWM

This one was not pigmented, but like all oils and coatings, it did make some
color change. My Helmsman polyurethane coated stuff is holding up much
better than the Cetol Marine recommended by the paint dealer. Maybe that
breathing is allowing the moisture in making it worse. Perhaps a different
variation would have fared better, but after one poor experience I'm not
going to try it again. It was also very expensive for poor performance. .