Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How long does joint compound last

I got one of those boxes of joint compound, dumped it into a Homer bucket
and have been using it to do the mudding on my ever present drywall jobs. I
use a layer of water on top of it to keep it fresh, plus I also keep a
plastic cover over it to keep the buggies out and the cat hair out of it.

How long does it last if kept this way? I noticed once that a couple of
patches of green mold formed on the margins where the water wasn't totally
covering it. I wiped it away and recovered it and haven't seen any return.

Should I toss it at this point, its about 2 months old, still handles like
joint compound and appears to do a perfectly fine job. Waste not want
ot - ehh?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
I got one of those boxes of joint compound, dumped it into a Homer bucket
and have been using it to do the mudding on my ever present drywall jobs.
I use a layer of water on top of it to keep it fresh, plus I also keep a
plastic cover over it to keep the buggies out and the cat hair out of it.

How long does it last if kept this way? I noticed once that a couple of
patches of green mold formed on the margins where the water wasn't totally
covering it. I wiped it away and recovered it and haven't seen any
return.

Should I toss it at this point, its about 2 months old, still handles like
joint compound and appears to do a perfectly fine job. Waste not want
t - ehh?
Hello,

As long as you keep a layer of water over it, It will last probably
over a year or so.......the green mould like substance was the water
evaporation residue from sitting without using.. If you dumped the film of
water every month or so and restirred the mud compound, then added the water
as a sealeant over top.....then you could make it last probably last
indefinately. Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jimi" wrote in message

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
I got one of those boxes of joint compound, dumped it into a Homer bucket
and have been using it to do the mudding on my ever present drywall jobs.
I use a layer of water on top of it to keep it fresh, plus I also keep a
plastic cover over it to keep the buggies out and the cat hair out of it.

How long does it last if kept this way? I noticed once that a couple of
patches of green mold formed on the margins where the water wasn't
totally covering it. I wiped it away and recovered it and haven't seen
any return.

Should I toss it at this point, its about 2 months old, still handles
like joint compound and appears to do a perfectly fine job. Waste not
want t - ehh?
Hello,

As long as you keep a layer of water over it, It will last probably
over a year or so.......the green mould like substance was the water
evaporation residue from sitting without using.. If you dumped the film
of water every month or so and restirred the mud compound, then added the
water as a sealeant over top.....then you could make it last probably last
indefinately. Jim

That's good to know, although I sincerely hope that I don't have to keep it
for longer than another year. I'd hate to think I have to do THAT much
drywalling.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 4 Apr 2007 18:16:51 -0700, "Eigenvector"
wrote:

I got one of those boxes of joint compound, dumped it into a Homer bucket
and have been using it to do the mudding on my ever present drywall jobs. I
use a layer of water on top of it to keep it fresh, plus I also keep a
plastic cover over it to keep the buggies out and the cat hair out of it.

How long does it last if kept this way? I noticed once that a couple of
patches of green mold formed on the margins where the water wasn't totally
covering it. I wiped it away and recovered it and haven't seen any return.

Should I toss it at this point, its about 2 months old, still handles like
joint compound and appears to do a perfectly fine job. Waste not want
ot - ehh?

I have some that is about 5 years old and going strong. The only
objectional part is the smell. And adding a little water to make it
less stiff.

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

For longer term storage, I have smoothed out the top and then added a thin
layer of Javex. Kept the mould and smell away --- that is if you can stand
the smell of Javex, when you use the compound, it pour it off, don't stir it
in.

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
I got one of those boxes of joint compound, dumped it into a Homer bucket
and have been using it to do the mudding on my ever present drywall jobs.
I use a layer of water on top of it to keep it fresh, plus I also keep a
plastic cover over it to keep the buggies out and the cat hair out of it.

How long does it last if kept this way? I noticed once that a couple of
patches of green mold formed on the margins where the water wasn't totally
covering it. I wiped it away and recovered it and haven't seen any
return.

Should I toss it at this point, its about 2 months old, still handles like
joint compound and appears to do a perfectly fine job. Waste not want
t - ehh?

Joint compound or plaster alexy Woodworking 5 March 23rd 07 12:49 PM
Joint compound over paint? MattMika Home Repair 2 May 24th 06 01:09 AM
joint treatment compound youbet2k3 Home Repair 1 April 19th 06 02:56 PM
joint compound mo Home Repair 5 April 8th 06 01:44 PM
Pipe joint compound jim rozen Metalworking 20 November 25th 03 06:34 PM