Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Spot-painting A Garage Door

I used a WD40 type lubricant on my garage door track this winter and just
noticed it dripped onto the front of one of the door panels. I tried
cleaning it with 401 withoout luck then paint thiner and finally acetone
(after I called the lubricant manufacturer).

Well I think I've gotten myself into a bit of a piclkle because now I've
remove paint to the point where some corners and edges of a small cross
member are showing gray; I'm pretty sure that's base metal.

Bottom line: Looks like the door is powder coated (painted) and I've removed
enough to disturb the asthetics. Area is the size of a softball.

Question: Repair suggestions?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

You might call the manufacturer to see if they have a spray touch up they
can sell you. Wayne Dalton has a touch up available for their doors. Won't
be perfect though unless you repaint the door completely.

"jaygreg" wrote in message
I used a WD40 type lubricant on my garage door track this winter and just
noticed it dripped onto the front of one of the door panels. I tried
cleaning it with 401 withoout luck then paint thiner and finally acetone
(after I called the lubricant manufacturer).

Well I think I've gotten myself into a bit of a piclkle because now I've
remove paint to the point where some corners and edges of a small cross
member are showing gray; I'm pretty sure that's base metal.

Bottom line: Looks like the door is powder coated (painted) and I've
removed enough to disturb the asthetics. Area is the size of a softball.

Question: Repair suggestions?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"jaygreg" wrote in message
I used a WD40 type lubricant on my garage door track this winter and just
noticed it dripped onto the front of one of the door panels. I tried
cleaning it with 401 withoout luck then paint thiner and finally acetone
(after I called the lubricant manufacturer).

Well I think I've gotten myself into a bit of a piclkle because now I've
remove paint to the point where some corners and edges of a small cross
member are showing gray; I'm pretty sure that's base metal.

Bottom line: Looks like the door is powder coated (painted) and I've
removed enough to disturb the asthetics. Area is the size of a softball.

Question: Repair suggestions?

Just tell your wife to stop worrying about it...in a week, she won't even
notice it...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"jaygreg" wrote in message

Bottom line: Looks like the door is powder coated (painted) and I've

removed
enough to disturb the asthetics. Area is the size of a softball.

Question: Repair suggestions?

I doubt the door is powder coated, I had some power coated aluminum tube I
soaked overnight in paint remover and it did almost nothing. I suspect that
touch up paint will be your best option.

--
Roger Shoaf

Posted to alt.home.repair

jaygreg wrote:
I used a WD40 type lubricant on my garage door track this winter and just
noticed it dripped onto the front of one of the door panels. I tried
cleaning it with 401 withoout luck then paint thiner and finally acetone
(after I called the lubricant manufacturer).

Well I think I've gotten myself into a bit of a piclkle because now I've
remove paint to the point where some corners and edges of a small cross
member are showing gray; I'm pretty sure that's base metal.

Bottom line: Looks like the door is powder coated (painted) and I've removed
enough to disturb the asthetics. Area is the size of a softball.

Question: Repair suggestions?

If the paint is pretty old (sounds like it is weathered and thin), you
probably should repaint the whole thing, with rusty metal primer on the
bare spot. I don't know about WD40, but mineral spirits is pretty safe
for painted finished. Any rusty spots?