Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Removing particle board Floor

I am planning to install a ceramic tile floor in the kitchen and am looking
for some suggestions on how to remove part of the old floor. The house is
about 30 years old and when we pulled back the linoleum, there is a 3/8 inch
layer of particle board (Buffalo board?) glued on top of 5/8 inch plywood.

I have been told that we need to remove the particle board for if it gets
wet, it will expand and could lift the floor. What is the best method to
remove this particle board? I have tried an ice scrapper but it will take
me about a year doing I this way.

Thanks for your help.

Gillian

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Gillian" wrote in message
I am planning to install a ceramic tile floor in the kitchen and am looking
for some suggestions on how to remove part of the old floor. The house is
about 30 years old and when we pulled back the linoleum, there is a 3/8
inch layer of particle board (Buffalo board?) glued on top of 5/8 inch
plywood.

I have been told that we need to remove the particle board for if it gets
wet, it will expand and could lift the floor. What is the best method to
remove this particle board? I have tried an ice scrapper but it will take
me about a year doing I this way.

Thanks for your help.

Gillian

I'm sure you will get better and more experienced advice than mine... Have
you considered laying backerboard (aka cement board) over your current
floor? It should protect the vulnerable particleboard (Buffalo board?
That's a new one to me - I don't get it). Stay tuned for the better ideas.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 3, 8:21 pm, "Gillian" wrote:
I am planning to install a ceramic tile floor in the kitchen and am looking
for some suggestions on how to remove part of the old floor. The house is
about 30 years old and when we pulled back the linoleum, there is a 3/8 inch
layer of particle board (Buffalo board?) glued on top of 5/8 inch plywood.

I have been told that we need to remove the particle board for if it gets
wet, it will expand and could lift the floor. What is the best method to
remove this particle board? I have tried an ice scrapper but it will take
me about a year doing I this way.

Thanks for your help.

Gillian

Hello Gillian,

This was discussed about a week ago on this list (look for
"underlayment" as a keyword). I think one suggestion sounded very
good, something about setting a circular saw to the depth of the wood
flooring, then cutting along the joists to remove the entire floor,
then installing a new subfloor. Anyway, a search should get you some
more info.

Best -- Terry

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Gillian" wrote in message
I am planning to install a ceramic tile floor in the kitchen and am looking
for some suggestions on how to remove part of the old floor. The house is
about 30 years old and when we pulled back the linoleum, there is a 3/8
inch layer of particle board (Buffalo board?) glued on top of 5/8 inch
plywood.

I have been told that we need to remove the particle board for if it gets
wet, it will expand and could lift the floor. What is the best method to
remove this particle board? I have tried an ice scrapper but it will take
me about a year doing I this way.

If it is glued down, you might wind up removing both.

I'd check with a good ceramic tile company. This might not be a good DIY
project.