Posted to alt.home.repair

Default AC --- geez

Our house ac compressor was replaced today. The guys sold me a SER13 3.5 ton
American Standard to replace a 3.5 ton Carrier about 10 years old. The new
unit is much bigger. Someone told me that it wasn't good to replace a 10 SER
with a 13 SER because the coil would have to be replaced and at least the
orifices would need work/ or was it replacement. But he said that if the
installers knew what they were doing, he would guess that they could make it
work.

The AC has been running for 5 hours and won't cool below 75 degrees on a
pretty cool day. Google says it's 84F now here in the desert.

Is an orifice or coil problem going to show us as an inability to cool or do
good readings on the guages outside on a ground level of a split A/C furnace
tell the installer everything he needs to know? Any ideas what might be
wrong? He's comming back later today and I want to be able to ask a few good
questions, if possible.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"AKA gray asphalt" wrote in message
[...]

My mother had her 20 yr old a/c unit in Florida replaced and the new unit
was
also much larger. Installer said that all the newer non-freon designs were
bigger units. I dunno.

The number one thing you need to find out is the temperature of the air
coming out of the registers. If it's 60 degF or less, then your problem is
more than likely air flow related (clogged filter, open pipe in the attic,
dirty fins, etc., etc.). If the air temp is in the upper 60's or warmer
then
the problem is likely related to your new compressor and/or its
installation.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"The Streets" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

That really makes sense. Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

AKA gray asphalt wrote:

The number one thing you need to find out is the temperature of the
air coming out of the registers. If it's 60 degF or less, then your
problem is
more than likely air flow related (clogged filter, open pipe in the
attic, dirty fins, etc., etc.). If the air temp is in the upper
60's or warmer then
the problem is likely related to your new compressor and/or its
installation.

That really makes sense. Thanks

Actually, it's a 20deg differential. If 100degree air is going in, the
output may be 80. If 80 degrees ambient, then 60 degrees output is okay.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 4 Apr 2007 06:35:52 -0400, "The Streets"
wrote:

[...]

This is not quite correct. The temp difference is 15 to 20 degrees
from supply to return. This is not a definative test but does give an
idea of what is going on.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 3 Apr 2007 17:32:47 -0700, "AKA gray asphalt"
wrote:

[...]

Also the moisture in the house determines the temp drop. That's
one of the reasons to leave the AC on 24 hours.