Posted to alt.home.repair
AKA Gray Asphalt AKA Gray Asphalt is offline

Default AC --- geez

"The Streets" wrote in message
. ..
"AKA gray asphalt" wrote in message
Our house ac compressor was replaced today. The guys sold me a SER13 3.5
ton American Standard to replace a 3.5 ton Carrier about 10 years old.
The new unit is much bigger. Someone told me that it wasn't good to
replace a 10 SER with a 13 SER because the coil would have to be replaced
and at least the orifices would need work/ or was it replacement. But he
said that if the installers knew what they were doing, he would guess
that they could make it work.

The AC has been running for 5 hours and won't cool below 75 degrees on a
pretty cool day. Google says it's 84F now here in the desert.

Is an orifice or coil problem going to show us as an inability to cool or
do good readings on the guages outside on a ground level of a split A/C
furnace tell the installer everything he needs to know? Any ideas what
might be wrong? He's comming back later today and I want to be able to
ask a few good questions, if possible.

My mother had her 20 yr old a/c unit in Florida replaced and the new unit
was
also much larger. Installer said that all the newer non-freon designs
were
bigger units. I dunno.

The number one thing you need to find out is the temperature of the air
coming out of the registers. If it's 60 degF or less, then your problem
is
more than likely air flow related (clogged filter, open pipe in the attic,
dirty fins, etc., etc.). If the air temp is in the upper 60's or warmer
then
the problem is likely related to your new compressor and/or its
installation.

That really makes sense. Thanks