Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Plumbing question

The wash sink in my bathroom has a very slow drain. I have used commercial
drain cleaners many times but now even they will not work. The back up is
not in the gooseneck but after it enters the wall. This is an older house
with iron drain pipes. When I plunge it I get some nasty looking brown gunk
coming into the sink. Does anyone have any suggestions other than "call a
plumber". Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 1, 12:02 pm, "jsimmons88" wrote:
The wash sink in my bathroom has a very slow drain. I have used commercial
drain cleaners many times but now even they will not work. The back up is
not in the gooseneck but after it enters the wall. This is an older house
with iron drain pipes. When I plunge it I get some nasty looking brown gunk
coming into the sink. Does anyone have any suggestions other than "call a
plumber". Thanks.

That happened to me. I made a snake by purchasing some small wire
rope (1/16") from a hardware store. I freyed one end and chucked up
the good end in my drill motor. I ran the motor at a slow speed while
inserting it into the pipe. It didn't take long until I pulled out a
huge amount of hair.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"jsimmons88" wrote in message
The wash sink in my bathroom has a very slow drain. I have used commercial
drain cleaners many times but now even they will not work. The back up is
not in the gooseneck but after it enters the wall. This is an older house
with iron drain pipes. When I plunge it I get some nasty looking brown
gunk coming into the sink. Does anyone have any suggestions other than
"call a plumber". Thanks.

I think it's time to call the Rooter man that would a good starting
place. I have the same problem in my house The laundry Lavi drains extremely
slow, but what the hell I'm a plumber I'll try and get around to it this
year.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 1, 2:02 pm, "jsimmons88" wrote:
The wash sink in my bathroom has a very slow drain. I have used commercial
drain cleaners many times but now even they will not work. The back up is
not in the gooseneck but after it enters the wall. This is an older house
with iron drain pipes. When I plunge it I get some nasty looking brown gunk
coming into the sink. Does anyone have any suggestions other than "call a
plumber". Thanks.

Its easier to call someone for sure. I clean my own drains and so can
you. A drain cleaning tool called a snake can be purchased or
rented. There have been many posts on that topic. Here is a link to
the different discussions I have been contributed to, only five.
Link:

http://groups.google.com/groups/sear...kBHomqBBzIcGnA

How about 15,500 result for "clogged drain" in this group alone? Have
fun. Link:

http://groups.google.com/groups/sear...=clogged+drain

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://groups.google.com/groups/sear...c_author=DUVmN...

How about 15,500 result for "clogged drain" in this group alone? Have
fun. Link:

http://groups.google.com/groups/sear...=clogged+drain

I couldn't agree with Lawrence more. Lav drains are almost always
hair clogs, and most chemicals are pretty useless. The added downside
is that the person trying to snake or plunge the drain could end up
"wearing" those chemicals. Best of luck.

JK

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 1 Apr 2007 15:02:43 -0400, "jsimmons88"
wrote:

The wash sink in my bathroom has a very slow drain. I have used commercial
drain cleaners many times but now even they will not work. The back up is
not in the gooseneck but after it enters the wall. This is an older house
with iron drain pipes. When I plunge it I get some nasty looking brown gunk
coming into the sink. Does anyone have any suggestions other than "call a
plumber". Thanks.

Shop vac. And never use chemical drain cleaners again.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

The wash sink in my bathroom has a very slow drain. I have used commercial
drain cleaners many times but now even they will not work. The back up is
not in the gooseneck but after it enters the wall. This is an older house
with iron drain pipes. When I plunge it I get some nasty looking brown
gunk
coming into the sink. Does anyone have any suggestions other than "call a
plumber". Thanks.

Shop vac. And never use chemical drain cleaners again.

An auger, shop vacs never worked in my case mainly, I suspect, because the
rust in the pipes was grabbing on to the hair and vacuum alone won't knock
it loose.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks to all for the replies. A friend says he has had good results with a
shop vac so I shall try that first- if no luck there I will try snaking the
drain.

Concrete question (regarding previous plumbing question) [email protected] Home Repair 2 October 17th 06 08:07 PM
Plumbing question MP UK diy 1 May 17th 05 09:52 PM
plumbing question [email protected] Home Ownership 5 February 27th 05 03:32 AM
Plumbing question SteveB Home Repair 1 December 23rd 04 04:21 PM
Plumbing Question Jeff UK diy 4 December 1st 03 01:49 PM