Posted to alt.home.repair

Default duck tape on dryer heat vent?

What's the name of that tube that goes from a dryer to the exit duct?
Anyway, our cat has clawed through it. Can I duct tape it or will the heat
melt the tape?
Thanks again
: -)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 27, 9:52 pm, "AKA gray asphalt"
wrote:
What's the name of that tube that goes from a dryer to the exit duct?
Anyway, our cat has clawed through it. Can I duct tape it or will the heat
melt the tape?
Thanks again
: -)

They are not very expensive. Personally I would just buy a new one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"AKA gray asphalt" wrote in message
What's the name of that tube that goes from a dryer to the exit duct?
Anyway, our cat has clawed through it. Can I duct tape it or will the heat
melt the tape?
Thanks again
: -)

The heat will melt it. Get the special aluminum (?) tape designed for this
purpose, it can handle the heat.

Posted to alt.home.repair

oups.com...
wrote:
What's the name of that tube that goes from a dryer to the exit duct?
Anyway, our cat has clawed through it. Can I duct tape it or will the
heat
melt the tape?
Thanks again
: -)

They are not very expensive. Personally I would just buy a new one.

It would get clawed through too. I'm thinking the duct tape will be more
resilient.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"AKA gray asphalt" wrote in message
What's the name of that tube that goes from a dryer to the exit duct?
Anyway, our cat has clawed through it. Can I duct tape it or will the heat
melt the tape?
Thanks again

That tube should be made of metal. You don't want one of those foil or
plastic "flexi" hoses on your dryer vent.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "AKA gray asphalt" wrote:
What's the name of that tube that goes from a dryer to the exit duct?
Anyway, our cat has clawed through it. Can I duct tape it or will the heat
melt the tape?

If the cat was able to claw through it, that means it's one of those
wire-reinforced vinyl hoses. Those things really aren't safe. Do yourself a
favor and replace it with a flexible aluminum duct (around $15-20 at Home
Depot or Lowes).

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

AKA gray asphalt wrote:
What's the name of that tube that goes from a dryer to the exit duct?
Anyway, our cat has clawed through it. Can I duct tape it or will the
heat melt the tape?
Thanks again
-)

Don't try and fix it as you have the wrong kind of vent to begin with.
It should be an all metal vent. Not corrugated. They don't cost much and
are not difficult to replace. There will be less chance of new damage, or
fire and the dryer will work better because of less restriction of the air
flow.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Joseph Meehan" wrote

AKA gray asphalt wrote:
What's the name of that tube that goes from a dryer to the exit duct?
Anyway, our cat has clawed through it. Can I duct tape it or will the
heat melt the tape?

Don't try and fix it as you have the wrong kind of vent to begin with.
It should be an all metal vent. Not corrugated. They don't cost much and
are not difficult to replace. There will be less chance of new damage, or
fire and the dryer will work better because of less restriction of the air
flow.

Jumping on the bandwagon, replace the plastic vent with a metal
one, and I don't mean that expandable aluminum foil type. If your
cat can get to the thing, I guarantee you it's somewhere where it can
easily be squished. I know, I had that kind, ran it behind some
utility shelving and something must have fallen on it. A fire hazard.
Do yourself and your family a favor and Don't go there.

nancy

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 27, 11:52 pm, "AKA gray asphalt"
wrote:
What's the name of that tube that goes from a dryer to the exit duct?
Anyway, our cat has clawed through it. Can I duct tape it or will the heat
melt the tape?
Thanks again
: -)

But to take my life in my hands and answer your actual question, yes
you can do this, and no, it doesn't melt the tape. I used one rigged
like this for years. Safe? Probably not, but I'm here to tell the
tale.

Jo Ann

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
What's the name of that tube that goes from a dryer to the exit duct?
Anyway, our cat has clawed through it. Can I duct tape it or will the heat
melt the tape?
Thanks again
: -)

It's called the transition duct.

http://CleanYourOwnDryerVent.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
What's the name of that tube that goes from a dryer to the exit duct?
Anyway, our cat has clawed through it. Can I duct tape it or will the heat
melt the tape?
Thanks again
: -)

They are not very expensive. Personally I would just buy a new one.

If your cat destroyes it, it's probably ribbed vinyl.
Replace it with 4" galvanized duct, and it won't trap lint.
Posted to alt.home.repair

AKA gray asphalt wrote:
What's the name of that tube that goes from a dryer to the exit duct?
Anyway, our cat has clawed through it. Can I duct tape it or will the
heat melt the tape?
Thanks again
-)

No, it won't melt, but ... it will instead over time become brittle and
flake away. About a year's life in my experience.

I'd buy a new one and put a cover of some sort over it; maybe metal.

Pop`

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 21:52:55 -0700, "AKA gray asphalt"
wrote:

What's the name of that tube that goes from a dryer to the exit duct?
Anyway, our cat has clawed through it. Can I duct tape it or will the heat
melt the tape?
Thanks again
: -)

imho:

Often a hose clamp might work. If you need to use a tape, I would use
one that there is no question it won't melt. use metal tape.

tom @ www.MedJobSite.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article RJAOh.5121$8l2.4737@trnddc01, "Pop`" wrote:

I'd buy a new one and put a cover of some sort over it; maybe metal.

Why wouldn't you just buy a metal duct in the first place?

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

AKA gray asphalt wrote:
What's the name of that tube that goes from a dryer to the exit duct?
Anyway, our cat has clawed through it. Can I duct tape it or will the
heat melt the tape?
Thanks again

It'll work. Temporarily. You'll have to re-tape eventually as duct tape gets
brittle.

Melt? Hardly. The hot air that comes from a dryer vent is not really hot
air. It's more like "lukewarm air," or "tepid air."

Don't believe? Poke a meat thermometer through the vinyl pipe and watch the
thermometer not move.

If you're still worried about the pipe melting, replace it with a cardboard
tube.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

What's the name of that tube that goes from a dryer to the exit duct?
Anyway, our cat has clawed through it. Can I duct tape it or will the heat
melt the tape?
Thanks again
: -)

When I had this problem, temporarily I just put a washcloth on top of
the hole. That worked fine until I needed it to take a bath.

Posted to alt.home.repair

t...
wrote:

I'd buy a new one and put a cover of some sort over it; maybe metal.

Why wouldn't you just buy a metal duct in the first place?

--
Regards,

The Sears repairman said the crappy vent I have is the best one they sell. I
didn't know about the other options until you guys told me. I will follow
this advice.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thank all of you for the help. I went to Home Depot but they didn't have any
good transition ducts so I decided to tape up the old one with metal tape.
It was difficult for me until I bought some clamps that had the perforations
instead of two brackets that were drawn together by a screw. It made a lot
of difference.

Two things fixed this week - a transition duct and a stopped up toilet.
Usually I break more things that I fix.
Thanks again
: -)