Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Drywall and ducting

On Mar 27, 11:03 pm, "Eigenvector" wrote:
brevity snip
is it okay
to butt the drywall up against (flexible HVAC) ducting or should I leave a gap?

I'd leave a gap, then trim it out.

'Course I'd box the ductwork to begin with, but your project may
differ from those I've encountered. IME construction/remodeling is
always a series of compromises but there are no expansion/contraction
issues in your situation of which I am aware.
-----

- gpsman

Posted to alt.home.repair

So far I've read that ducting channels can be made from drywall only. I'm
not interested in enclosing the ducting all the way, it isn't necessary for
where I'm working, so my question is when I install the drywall, is it okay
to butt the drywall up against the ducting or should I leave a gap? I'm
wondering if thermal expansion of the ducting makes it necessary to leave
space or if there are other considerations that make leaving space
necessary.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 27, 8:03 pm, "Eigenvector" wrote:
So far I've read that ducting channels can be made from drywall only. I'm
not interested in enclosing the ducting all the way, it isn't necessary for
where I'm working, so my question is when I install the drywall, is it okay
to butt the drywall up against the ducting or should I leave a gap? I'm
wondering if thermal expansion of the ducting makes it necessary to leave
space or if there are other considerations that make leaving space
necessary.

Local ordinance type stuff maybe.As for a piece of sheetrock on the
wall touching the duct a bit it should'nt be a problem..If fire
caulking was an issue then a gap might be good for the caulk to lay
in.. I'd say as long as it does'nt affect how the duct lays on the
hangers You're doing good.
Dean

Posted to alt.home.repair

Eigenvector wrote:
So far I've read that ducting channels can be made from drywall only. I'm
not interested in enclosing the ducting all the way, it isn't necessary for
where I'm working, so my question is when I install the drywall, is it okay
to butt the drywall up against the ducting or should I leave a gap? I'm
wondering if thermal expansion of the ducting makes it necessary to leave
space or if there are other considerations that make leaving space
necessary.

If you leave space, you have created at no extra effort a conduit or
chase for tv cable
( quad shield RG6 co-ax, etc); network cable (CAT 5 / CAT 6);phone
(POTS) cable,
fibre optic cable, etc.

Put in 4 or 6 pll strings the lengtof the outside of the ducting but
inside the drywall enclosure.c

IMHO you can't have too many conduits or chases that you can use without
lotsof wa;ll board cutting. You never know what the future will bring.

I've re cabled (or just plain cabled) two older houses. Clear runs
without a lot of wallboard
cutting or stud drilling are your friends.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"jJim McLaughlin" wrote in message
Eigenvector wrote:
[...]

Hmm, I hadn't thought of it that way. I don't actually intend of pulling
CAT V or something like that any time soon, the idea of using it as a wire
or cable run isn't a bad idea in case I change my mind in the future.

Ducting JoeJoe UK diy 4 October 24th 05 09:23 PM
Hole in Ducting. PVR Home Repair 3 June 22nd 05 12:05 PM
ducting for the shop leonard Woodworking 5 May 1st 05 03:37 PM
5"air ducting: 2 into 1? Lobster UK diy 8 January 20th 05 02:17 PM
ducting Lurch UK diy 2 July 17th 04 03:25 PM