Posted to alt.home.repair

Default cordless power tools... voltages

Hi all,

I've been building some shelving units for my small apartment to make
the space more efficient. I'm using cordless tools for the most part.

I have a Kawasaki 19.2 volt cordless circular saw which I bought from
Sam's Club and it works great. It is not as loud as my corded saw.
However I'd like to have more batteries. There was a Kawasaki cordless
drill to match but it is available with the new 21.6 volt battery
packs only. The DISPLAY model, which looks the same as the ones on the
shelf for sale, has the same 19.2 volt batteries as my saw.

It LOOKS as though the battery packs, though different in voltage, are
physically the same package.

If I bought the Kawasaki 21.6 volt cordless drill can I use the
battery packs between it and my Kawasaki 19.2 volt cordless circular
saw interchangeably?? I suspect so since they are motors and motors
aren't usually that picky but I wanted to be sure.

Can anyone confirm this with me please?

Thanks,
Christopher Grove

Posted to alt.home.repair

crgrove wrote:
[...]

Might work. Might shorten the drill's life. One way to find out; try it.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Mar 27, 12:49 pm, "crgrove" wrote:
[...]

What did Kawasaki customer service say when you called them? You did
call them, right?

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 27, 7:11?pm, "Joe" wrote:
[...]

Joe- Hide quoted text -

I doubt it would cause a problem, with an apartment your not using it
industrially

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 27, 7:11?pm, "Joe" wrote:
[...]

If I wanted the reply "it will void the warranty" then I'd call
customer service. What I was hoping for was knowledgeable and
technical answers.

-Christopher

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Apr 9, 8:33 pm, "crgrove" wrote:

snip

If I wanted the reply "it will void the warranty" then I'd call
customer service. What I was hoping for was knowledgeable and
technical answers.

You'll never know what customer service will say unless you call them.
If they tell you that 'it will void the warranty', then you are
certainly entitled to ask 'why?' and if they waffle about it, ask to
speak with a tech type, not a marketing maven. Who knows, they could
surprise you with some enlightening info.
Odds are the batteries are different by one cell if both are the same
type. The higher votage will draw a bit more current, but since
we're dealing with DC there should be no impedence mismatches as in
some AC applications. IMO. ought to work fine.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Red is offline

On Apr 13, 5:12 pm, "Joe" wrote:

Odds are the batteries are different by one cell if both are the same
type. The higher votage will draw a bit more current, but since
we're dealing with DC there should be no impedence mismatches as in
some AC applications. IMO. ought to work fine.

Joe

Actually 2 cells. Meaning there is a physical difference in the size
of the battery packs so they may not interchange. Connecting the
19.2v unit to a 21.6v battery pack is overloading the motor by 12.5%.
Personally, I wouldn't pay that much for a new tool and abuse it like
that. Kawasaki makes great internal combustion motors but I don't know
how much experience they have in the tool line.