Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Question: Plumbing Seats And Springs

There is no visual evidence -- to the naked eye -- of any
deterioration in old seats and springs that have allowed a faucet to
drip. The old seats and springs look exactly like the new replacement
seats and springs.

What is the typical reason that seats and springs fail over a period
of time? Is it usually the fault of the metallic spring, or the seat?
Thank You.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jack" Windswept@home wrote in message
There is no visual evidence -- to the naked eye -- of any
deterioration in old seats and springs that have allowed a faucet to
drip. The old seats and springs look exactly like the new replacement
seats and springs.

What is the typical reason that seats and springs fail over a period
of time? Is it usually the fault of the metallic spring, or the seat?
Thank You.

I assume you have a Delta with a ball. I suspect that the rubber seats may
have lost some of their elasticity. I find that a good slathering of
plumbers grease helps.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jack wrote:

There is no visual evidence -- to the naked eye -- of any
deterioration in old seats and springs that have allowed a faucet to
drip. The old seats and springs look exactly like the new replacement
seats and springs.

What is the typical reason that seats and springs fail over a period
of time? Is it usually the fault of the metallic spring, or the seat?
Thank You.

You'd probably have to investigate at the molecular level
into the rubber surface. The rubber hardens and doesn't
conform to the opposing surface or develops minute surface
failures. That kind of thing.

The springs aren't usually part of the failure.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 19:10:09 GMT, Windswept@home (Jack) wrote:

There is no visual evidence -- to the naked eye -- of any
deterioration in old seats and springs that have allowed a faucet to
drip. The old seats and springs look exactly like the new replacement
seats and springs.

What is the typical reason that seats and springs fail over a period
of time?

They're compressed almost all the time. I guess both sprigs and seats
lose their springiness.

Is it usually the fault of the metallic spring, or the seat?
Thank You.

Don't know.

Did changing the seats and springs stop the dripping?

I had a Delta faucet and i changed the seats, springs, ball, and
nothing stopped the drpping. No detectable damage. Very frustrating.
Then someone gave me another Delta faucet, and it worked fine.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"mm" wrote in message
[...]

I have had that happen with non-genuine repair parts and have also found
that there are two different lengths of springs and seals, depending on how
old the faucet is.

Don Young

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 21:22:12 -0500, "Don Young"
wrote:

"mm" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Thanks. I bought genuine parts, and then several years ago, I
complained by phone to Delta and they sent me another set of parts.
I don't remember if they asked about the age, but I knew the exact age
of the house if they did.

Now that I have another delta, I'll bear in mind the 2 lengths of
springs -- thank you -- but I don't know how old this one is. I lied
about it being given to me. I was at HD and decided to walk to the
Walmart that was behind the HD. I found the faucet lying in the
grass. I took it home and found that it took a sprayer hose, and to
buy that separately was not so cheap. So the next day I went back to
that piece of grass and found the hose there too. It all worked
fine for about 3 months and I had to disconnect it, but I assume it
will work fine again until the seats or springs wear out.
Don Young