Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Orange Water Stain - NOT Iron???

We have pretty good well water in unincorporated Naperville, IL,
Wheatland township, but we have orange stains on the grout and
fixtures. Not uncommon, but I figured it was just high iron content. I
got a test kit with several strips and these are the results:

Copper - 0 ppm
Iron - 0.3 ppm
Nitrate - 5 ppm
Nitrite - 0.5 ppm
Chlorine - 0.5ppm
pH - 6.5
Alkalinity - 240ppm
Hardness - 25 grains / 420ppm

Maybe the test is bonkers, maybe the hardness and alkalinity have
something to do with it. I figured I'd see white or grey deposits with
this. I've heard the orange might be chromium, but I figured chromium
deposits would end up grey, white or yellow.

I've been told by Eco Lindsay that we don't need an iron filter, and
that it'd be about 65 bucks a month (maybe every three months --
anything in that price range is a bit steep from my POV). I guess
they're right. Maybe what I should do is just install a sediment
filter or something. Iron Out takes the stains off pretty good, so I'm
just a bit confused.

Any recommendations or ideas?

Mark