Posted to alt.home.repair
TC TC is offline

Default Clean your own A/C?

I have a central A/C unit that needs cleaning (not the duct work). Can
this be done by a homeowner or is this really a job for a pro A/C
service? I'm really tired of calling places that provide sub-standard
service and in the end I end up doing things myself.

I have a 3 ton American Standard.

Posted to alt.home.repair

--

Hello TC,

I have a centra A/C also and I have cleaned my own all the time. We
live near poplar trees and every year they throw fuzz that collects around
the cooling fins. I take my power vacum to it every year. Before I begin I
flipp off the breaker that feeds it. I have a 3 ton Carrier unit.. Jimi

Posted to alt.home.repair

TC wrote:

I have a central A/C unit that needs cleaning (not the duct work). Can
this be done by a homeowner or is this really a job for a pro A/C
service? I'm really tired of calling places that provide sub-standard
service and in the end I end up doing things myself.
I have a 3 ton American Standard.

You can do considerable damage if you are not careful & don't know what
can happen
First, always cut all power off to the unit.

Never use detergents on coils & fins as there are oils etc., that will
leave an insulating film on them.
We use special coil cleaners, and some of those are powerful & dangerous
to use.

Keep the water stream straight with the fins or it might bend them.

My advice: Call a HVAC contractor to service the entire system. - udarrell

http://www.udarrell.com/proper_cfm_b...syste ms.html

--
WISDOM PRINCIPLED EMPOWERMENT COMMUNICATIONS -
http://www.udarrell.com/
Posted to alt.home.repair

You should be able to clean it yourself. That and the inside of the
air handler too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

TC wrote:
I have a central A/C unit that needs cleaning (not the duct work). Can
this be done by a homeowner or is this really a job for a pro A/C
service? I'm really tired of calling places that provide sub-standard
service and in the end I end up doing things myself.

I have a 3 ton American Standard.

Sure. I remove the top fan assembly and use a pressure washer to blow the
mung out of the fins.

Now, my fins don't bend. Be careful.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 23 Mar 2007 15:12:58 GMT, "TC" wrote:

I have a central A/C unit that needs cleaning (not the duct work). Can
this be done by a homeowner or is this really a job for a pro A/C
service? I'm really tired of calling places that provide sub-standard
service and in the end I end up doing things myself.

I have a 3 ton American Standard.

DON"T use a power washer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 15:56:37 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

TC wrote:
I have a central A/C unit that needs cleaning (not the duct work). Can
this be done by a homeowner or is this really a job for a pro A/C
service? I'm really tired of calling places that provide sub-standard
service and in the end I end up doing things myself.

I have a 3 ton American Standard.

Sure. I remove the top fan assembly and use a pressure washer to blow the
mung out of the fins.

Now, my fins don't bend. Be careful.

An HVAC guy I used to work with cleaned my unit; until he moved away.
He sprayed some type foaming stuff on the inside fins, allowed it to
sit a bit and simply hosed it off from inside, towards the outside.

Don't hold me to this but I think the BORG has a similar product for
the DIY person. I will look next time, as my unit needs cleaning,
also.

--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 23 Mar 2007 15:12:58 GMT, "TC" wrote:

I have a central A/C unit that needs cleaning (not the duct work). Can
this be done by a homeowner or is this really a job for a pro A/C
service? I'm really tired of calling places that provide sub-standard
service and in the end I end up doing things myself.

I have a 3 ton American Standard.

This is me, I plan on cleaning my own this year too. I figure a good
foaming cleaner will get into the tiny fins. Then I'll hose it down.
Remembering to always to follow manufactures instructions.

tom @ www.YourMoneyMakingIdeas.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sounds like you already made your own decision. Have at it!

Just remebmer that cleaning is only one of the many things a HVAC
guy (should) do during the spring clean and check.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

: