Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren Oren is offline

Default Clean your own A/C?

On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 15:56:37 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

TC wrote:
I have a central A/C unit that needs cleaning (not the duct work). Can
this be done by a homeowner or is this really a job for a pro A/C
service? I'm really tired of calling places that provide sub-standard
service and in the end I end up doing things myself.

I have a 3 ton American Standard.

Sure. I remove the top fan assembly and use a pressure washer to blow the
mung out of the fins.

Now, my fins don't bend. Be careful.

An HVAC guy I used to work with cleaned my unit; until he moved away.
He sprayed some type foaming stuff on the inside fins, allowed it to
sit a bit and simply hosed it off from inside, towards the outside.

Don't hold me to this but I think the BORG has a similar product for
the DIY person. I will look next time, as my unit needs cleaning,
also.

--
Oren