Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Gas pressure

I've suspected for a long time that our natural gas pressure is too high
coming into the house. I first asked about it a while back; an alarm we
had was malfunctioning, and while we had a gas company dude here to
double-check I asked him if the furnace didn't "WHOOOFF" a little too
loudly when it lights. He said it was fine.

But lately we've been having trouble with the oven, and the other night
when I went to check and set the flame, it looked too large to me
(about 1-1/2") even with the air chimney all the way closed; in fact,
it didn't look like the air chimney had much of any effect on the size
of the flames at all. I realize the stove has its own regulator, but
it's only designed to take the edge off 7 inches or so of pressure
and I wouldn't expect it to handle any significant overpressure.

Am I worried about nothing?

--
If you believe CO2 emissions are harming the earth,
You shouldn't be exhaling
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ken Ken is offline

clifto wrote:
I've suspected for a long time that our natural gas pressure is too high
coming into the house. I first asked about it a while back; an alarm we
had was malfunctioning, and while we had a gas company dude here to
double-check I asked him if the furnace didn't "WHOOOFF" a little too
loudly when it lights. He said it was fine.

But lately we've been having trouble with the oven, and the other night
when I went to check and set the flame, it looked too large to me
(about 1-1/2") even with the air chimney all the way closed; in fact,
it didn't look like the air chimney had much of any effect on the size
of the flames at all. I realize the stove has its own regulator, but
it's only designed to take the edge off 7 inches or so of pressure
and I wouldn't expect it to handle any significant overpressure.

Am I worried about nothing?

If you think there is something wrong with the gas pressure, call your
gas company immediately. Most homes have a regulator at the gas meter
that he can check.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 22, 1:45 pm, clifto wrote:
[...]

Do get the pressure measured. Meanwhile, what is the "air
chimney"? Do you mean the device that mixes air and gas
for the burner? (gas carburetor)

If "yes" to the latter, and you've done what I'm guessing you've
done, you've possibly made the mixture way too rich, and
are running a CO generator. This would correspond with
yellow flame, and would be _very_ dangerous.

For your safety, do ask the gas person to adjust it
properly, after you explain what you've done.

What is this CO2 emissions noise? They're not good
either- they just don't asphyxiate you.

HTH,

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

I used to work for a gas utility. They made their own pressure meter. It was
a bent plastic tube in a J shape with a soft flexible tube attached to the
lower portion and fitted over the gas pipe. The tall part was filled
partially with water, when attached to the gas line and the gas turned on,
the gas would push the water up the long part of the J. A simple ruler would
measure if it moved 7" which would be the pressure of 7" of water. Call your
gas company to see if your regulator at the meter is working properly, they
do fail.

wrote in message
oups.com...

gas hob pressure dme UK diy 4 September 1st 06 10:09 PM
gas pressure question Cuprager UK diy 3 August 8th 06 01:00 PM
Natural Gas Pressure Yargnits Home Repair 0 September 9th 05 03:21 AM
How to measure gas pressure Dr. Hardcrab Home Repair 3 July 17th 05 02:33 AM
Gas Pressure Question... Rob UK diy 5 April 5th 05 08:35 AM