Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] barry@sme-online.com is offline

Default Gas pressure

On Mar 22, 1:45 pm, clifto wrote:
I've suspected for a long time that our natural gas pressure is too high
coming into the house. I first asked about it a while back; an alarm we
had was malfunctioning, and while we had a gas company dude here to
double-check I asked him if the furnace didn't "WHOOOFF" a little too
loudly when it lights. He said it was fine.

But lately we've been having trouble with the oven, and the other night
when I went to check and set the flame, it looked too large to me
(about 1-1/2") even with the air chimney all the way closed; in fact,
it didn't look like the air chimney had much of any effect on the size
of the flames at all. I realize the stove has its own regulator, but
it's only designed to take the edge off 7 inches or so of pressure
and I wouldn't expect it to handle any significant overpressure.

Am I worried about nothing?

--
If you believe CO2 emissions are harming the earth,
You shouldn't be exhaling

Do get the pressure measured. Meanwhile, what is the "air
chimney"? Do you mean the device that mixes air and gas
for the burner? (gas carburetor)

If "yes" to the latter, and you've done what I'm guessing you've
done, you've possibly made the mixture way too rich, and
are running a CO generator. This would correspond with
yellow flame, and would be _very_ dangerous.

For your safety, do ask the gas person to adjust it
properly, after you explain what you've done.

What is this CO2 emissions noise? They're not good
either- they just don't asphyxiate you.

HTH,