Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Knotch in Beam Part 2

Oh wow, what great answers.

Ok, I get the idea! No notch in beam! So, if y'all don't mind,
here's a follow up question:

I can easily take 3 1/2 inches off the bottom of the cabinet, but that
will leave the cabinet only about 1.5 inches below the beam.

Or, I can take the top and top trim off the cabinet, cut the cabinet
down several inches, replace the top and trim, move the little wooden
shelf holders down a bit, use a bit of wood filler, touchup paint and
re-"distress". Then the cabinet will be more like 5+ inches below
the beam. Do you think 1.5 inch below the beam would look too dumb or
ok? If you think that would look dumb, how many inches below the beam
do you think is best? Again, the beam comes down 10" from the ceiling
and the cabinet is 8' tall.

Thanks!

Debra

Posted to alt.home.repair

DebraG wrote:
Oh wow, what great answers.

Ok, I get the idea! No notch in beam! So, if y'all don't mind,
here's a follow up question:

I can easily take 3 1/2 inches off the bottom of the cabinet, but that
will leave the cabinet only about 1.5 inches below the beam.

Or, I can take the top and top trim off the cabinet, cut the cabinet
down several inches, replace the top and trim, move the little wooden
shelf holders down a bit, use a bit of wood filler, touchup paint and
re-"distress". Then the cabinet will be more like 5+ inches below
the beam. Do you think 1.5 inch below the beam would look too dumb or
ok? If you think that would look dumb, how many inches below the beam
do you think is best? Again, the beam comes down 10" from the ceiling
and the cabinet is 8' tall.

Debra...? With all due respect, how the hell would anyone know what
is and isn't possible and preferable without seeing the thing? And
I'm not talking about a pretty picture of the outside. Any
modifications would have to take into account the construction of the
carcase and how the trim would have to be reworked. It's entirely
possible that your little modifications could exceed what you paid for
the cabinet in the first place. Easily.

Call a carpenter and find out if what you're thinking of doing is even
possible and whether you want to spend that amount of money or not.
Otherwise you're just wasting time - ours and yours.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 19, 11:34 pm, "DebraG" wrote:
Oh wow, what great answers.

Ok, I get the idea! No notch in beam! So, if y'all don't mind,
here's a follow up question:

I can easily take 3 1/2 inches off the bottom of the cabinet, but that
will leave the cabinet only about 1.5 inches below the beam.

Or, I can take the top and top trim off the cabinet, cut the cabinet
down several inches, replace the top and trim, move the little wooden
shelf holders down a bit, use a bit of wood filler, touchup paint and
re-"distress". Then the cabinet will be more like 5+ inches below
the beam. Do you think 1.5 inch below the beam would look too dumb or
ok? If you think that would look dumb, how many inches below the beam
do you think is best? Again, the beam comes down 10" from the ceiling
and the cabinet is 8' tall.

Thanks!

Debra

Ultimately you will have to decide what looks best to you. About
removing material at the bottom -- kitchen cabinets, bookcases, etc.
almost always have some space at the bottom, so that the first shelf,
door, etc. is 3 or 4 inches up off the floor. There are reasons for
that -- the lowest few inches get banged into alot by feet, vacuum
cleaner, mop, etc. Plus, it usually looks better that way. In kitchen
base cabinets the toe-kick is usually recessed a little, which lets
you work at the counter without stubbing your toe on the cabinet. So
maybe taking a little off the top (carpenter, or barber will do) is
better. -- H

Posted to alt.home.repair

Any
modifications would have to take into account the construction of the
carcase and how the trim would have to be reworked. *It's entirely
possible that your little modifications could exceed what you paid for
the cabinet in the first place. *Easily.

I can do my own repairs, so the cost to repair is not the issue, time
is. With some new bin pulls and caligraphy in card holders, it can be
made to look rather spiffy. I think I'll take the easy way out and
just take some off the bottom. That still leaves a toe kick. It
would look better off the top, and may look a bit odd being that high,
but then, I think cabinets above counters look odd!

Thanks for the replies.

Debra

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 19 Mar 2007 21:34:35 -0700, "DebraG" wrote:

Oh wow, what great answers.

Ok, I get the idea! No notch in beam! So, if y'all don't mind,
here's a follow up question:

Just make sure your house is decorated attractively enough that you
and your guests aren't spending time staring at beams 8 feet above
your heads.