Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default Knotch in Beam Part 2

DebraG wrote:
Oh wow, what great answers.

Ok, I get the idea! No notch in beam! So, if y'all don't mind,
here's a follow up question:

I can easily take 3 1/2 inches off the bottom of the cabinet, but that
will leave the cabinet only about 1.5 inches below the beam.

Or, I can take the top and top trim off the cabinet, cut the cabinet
down several inches, replace the top and trim, move the little wooden
shelf holders down a bit, use a bit of wood filler, touchup paint and
re-"distress". Then the cabinet will be more like 5+ inches below
the beam. Do you think 1.5 inch below the beam would look too dumb or
ok? If you think that would look dumb, how many inches below the beam
do you think is best? Again, the beam comes down 10" from the ceiling
and the cabinet is 8' tall.

Debra...? With all due respect, how the hell would anyone know what
is and isn't possible and preferable without seeing the thing? And
I'm not talking about a pretty picture of the outside. Any
modifications would have to take into account the construction of the
carcase and how the trim would have to be reworked. It's entirely
possible that your little modifications could exceed what you paid for
the cabinet in the first place. Easily.

Call a carpenter and find out if what you're thinking of doing is even
possible and whether you want to spend that amount of money or not.
Otherwise you're just wasting time - ours and yours.